We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation - Guatemala City to Panajachel on Christmas

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Transportation - Guatemala City to Panajachel on Christmas

I want to travel from Guatemala to Lake Atitlan on Christmas day. What are the best options? I would like to go direct and was thinking of a shuttle or bus. I would like it to be quick and comfortable but don't want to pay a fortune.

Thanks for any information.

3 replies to this topic
Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation - Guatemala City to Panajachel on Christmas

On normal days you have two options. Shared tourist shuttles depart Guatemala City at 11am and 2pm. Cost is under $30 per person, travel through Antigua, and then on to Panajachel.

The second option is a taxi or private shuttle. Cost is over $100 in total and travel is direct. On Christmas day you would expect to pay more for a private (at least as an act of kindness to the driver for working on a family holiday).

denver, colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation - Guatemala City to Panajachel on Christmas

How do I contact this "shuttle" to Atitlan?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation - Guatemala City to Panajachel on Christmas

The share shuttles, as noted above, aren't direct and you have to fit their (limited) schedules which may be even more limited with your timing - be sure to reserve in advance. They can take 5+ hours thanks to the extra trip into and time in Antigua. If you can afford to hire a driver, do that. You get to pick the timing and the trip should take about 2.5 hours.

Here are 2 transportation providers I’ve been pleased with in Guatemala for share shuttles, private transfers, and flight arrangements:

Adrenalina Tours: http://www.adrenalinatours.com

Rainbow Travel: http://www.rainbowtravelcenter.com

Our favorite private driver, Alfredo Garcia, is bilingual, personable, prompt, and safe, and has nice vehicles: alf.transport@yahoo.com

Reply to: Transportation - Guatemala City to Panajachel on Christmas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted