We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for solo expact

Baddeck, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Advice for solo expact

Hi,

I live alone in Canada, and cannot stay another winter. I am 57, and am on a fixed income. I really want to explore and live,learn cultures and perhaps never see snow again!! lol So this is a new adventure for me, I have not really traveled that much before and never for about 5 months which is what I plan. Dec./Jan to mid/end of April. I was told a bit by email of a friend who spent time in Guatamala in the 90's. Sounds very interesting, so I did a bunch of research on the area. Thought I may be interested in places around the lake as opposed to Panajachel?! Santa Cruz, San Pedro, j...can't think of the name right now. Anyway, it all sounds very interesting and intriguing, however I really am a beach, salt water person.

My top priorities are safety, affordable, coastal..ish, and culture.That being said, I have been looking @ Panama, Belize, Nicaragua(?), and Guatamala, Atitalan area, which is not coastal..so??? I'm just researching these and am not sure of affordability at this time. Sooo I am opened to advice, suggestions, and any information I can gather. Peru has also been suggested and also is very appealing. I have not researched it as of yet, been busy with the other possibilities. And to be very honest, I am a tad overwhelmed, to say the least!!

I would be very interested to hear about anyones experiences, locations, thoughts, interpretations, and advice. I will leave this with you, and hope to hear from you at your convenience.

Thanks,

Murdena

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Advice for solo expact

There are a few expats on this board from time to time, but you'd probably find this page more helpful overall.: expatexchange.com/guatemala/liveinguatemala.…

Baddeck, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
2. Re: Advice for solo expact

Awesome, thanks!!!

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
247 reviews
3. Re: Advice for solo expact

You can visit my blog site where I write about many subjects relating to Guatemala.

http://www.lakeatitlantravelguide.com/

You might want to consider visiting some real estate websites for our area as well.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
735 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Advice for solo expact

A bunch of people with similar goals have settled here and the other places you mention. the lake area is not the same as the sea but close. I manage to get to the beach areas or Caribbean frequently but not enough. It sounds like you are going to visit most of the places you think might be nice. I did the same and ended up in Panajachel because I met people here I like and decided to stay here. Good luck.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
5. Re: Advice for solo expact

I would definitely come to Guatemala and see for yourself. The Pacific beaches are pretty rough and stiflingly hot even for this heat-loving Canadian. The Caribbean is very tropical with a smattering of ex-pats.

Attitlan has a more temperate climate and is, in my opinion, much more cultural than the coasts.

Moon Guides has a series of books called "Living in...." and they give a great overview of the countries they present and realistic information on living abroad, especially handy when the cultures and climates are so different from Canada.

Happy hunting!

6. Re: Advice for solo expact

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 07:16