We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Avoid Theft While Swimming and Keeping Bike Safe

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
How to Avoid Theft While Swimming and Keeping Bike Safe

I plan to rent a bike in PV and ride down to Manzanillo, splash around in the ocean, etc.

So just how does one avoid theft of one's belongings on the beach? I'm thinking especially of my eyeglasses/sunglasses which won't fit into one of those waterproof containers that I hate wearing around my neck. I wouldn't be keen on having my shoes stolen, either. I can't pedal very well in cheap flip-flops. There won't be anyone to leave behind on the beach to watch my things.

And what about the rental bike? Do they come with locks?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Avoid Theft While Swimming and Keeping Bike Safe

Theft is opportunistic, meaning that some guy will walk by, spot your stuff, and take it.

If you'll have anything on you that you don't want to lose, you might want to bring a small PacSafe and a cable lock. Put everything in your PacSafe - they have a steel mesh - and lock it and your bike to the nearest palm tree within sight.

It's no guarantee, but at least you won't be victimized by anyone who doesn't happen to have a wire cutter with him.

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Avoid Theft While Swimming and Keeping Bike Safe

Very good advise framptonian. I've wondered too.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Avoid Theft While Swimming and Keeping Bike Safe

Also instead of a bike cable/lock which is heavy, I always travel with a ski lock. They are much lighter and long enough to wrap around a small tree trunk.

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
567 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Avoid Theft While Swimming and Keeping Bike Safe

I would say most bike rentals provide a bike lock. If they don't, just go to another rental. We locked our bikes to the tree.

5. Re: How to Avoid Theft While Swimming and Keeping Bike Safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 05:18