We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car- should i go through vacationcity.com instead?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car- should i go through vacationcity.com instead?

Hi,

My husband & I are leaving next week for Costa Rica (so excited), we'll be staying in MA & Uvita. I currently have a car reserved through Alamo but was just reading about some of the issues people had in December with cars not being available. I'm wondering if maybe I should go through vacationcity.com instead. The prices are comparable (if not better with vacation city). From what I've read on here it seems that having a local 3rd party has been beneficia to some people. Just curious what people think. We're planning on driving for the whole trip (10 days) so obiviously having a car ready for us when we arrive is important.

Thanks in advance!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car- should i go through vacationcity.com instead?

IMO I think you are still fine with Alamo. From what I read that was a holiday problem and it was the first negative thing I think I have ever heard about them.

Always better to rent with a company in the country. There are many more horror stories from folks who rented from some international websites only to find the information was way off...

Other good companies are Adobe, Mapache, and Toyota, all located here.

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car- should i go through vacationcity.com instead?

You should fine, however if you do not feel confident with Alamo go with Adobe rent a car.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car- should i go through vacationcity.com instead?

Vacationcity.com is based in San Jose. It's not international.

I've used them and the prices charged were exactly as advertised.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,448 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car- should i go through vacationcity.com instead?

Go directly with ALAMO...you do not need any middle person...be sure to bring in black and white the different quotes you may have...

In case of a dispute ...you have better chances dealing direct with the FRANCHISE offide in USA...than dealing with any middle person in Costa Rica...since...for our laws you most be in Costa Rica to take any legal action...

Any rent a car is the same situation..

roadadvisor

5. Re: Rental car- should i go through vacationcity.com instead?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2013, 10:16