We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kayaking/snorelling

Smithers, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
kayaking/snorelling

Hi...I was just reading that it is possible to rent kayaks and then paddle to the reef or cayes to snorkel on your own....but it didn't say where, or how far out you need to go. Does anyone know where to rent kayaks and where to go to snorkel??? Is it good to snorkel inside the lagoon side? I understand there are manatees in the lagoon.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kayaking/snorelling

We saw manatees among the mangroves on Turneffe Island, but they won;t stick around to be observed by a snorkeler. If you are asking about Ambergris, you would want to paddle out to the reef, maybe 500-800 yards and dive inside the reef. Generally you would want to tie up, so you need a rope and a buoy. It would also help to tie up at a channel so you can swim around to the back side of the reef as well. Swimming through the reef, well, that is not recommended. You can see a fair amount of fish around the coral heads inside the lagoon, but most coral and fish life is at the reef. I'd suggest a 2-person kayak so you can take turns snorkeling if you can't find a buoy to tie to. A rental shop should be able to direct you to a channel and a buoy. Don't do what I did once...paddle all the way out and then discover, oops,no rope.

Smithers, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kayaking/snorelling

Thanks for the tip.......I will remember the rope! We will be in Placancia and Ambergris Caye as well. I am now thinking it is likely a tad difficult to get in and out of a kayak with no beach tho. Maybe with a 2 man it would be easier. The mangroves sound interesting with the possibility of seeing a manatee...even if it were just from the kayak. :)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kayaking/snorelling

I don't know about Placencia, but, there are big crocodiles in the lagoon behind Ambergris. Be careful.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
79 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kayaking/snorelling

People do not normally snorkel in the Placencia lagoon. Manatee watching and kayaking yes, but snorkelling no. There are cayes closeby that you can kayak to and snorkel (Bugle for example) but for the ones that are marine reserves or parks you need to have a licenced guide. Depending on your experience, it may make sense to have a licenced guide anyway as they know where the good stuff is. No problem kayaking off the beaches at Placencia - we have the best and longest beach in Belize.

Regards

Ralph

Smithers, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kayaking/snorelling

Thank you all for the great info. Don't want to be swimming with any crocs!!!

Sounds like manatee watching 'from' the kayak is what we will do...and maybe think about Bugle......thanks so much!!

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kayaking/snorelling

Kayak rentals in Placencia: http://www.kayakbelize.com/

Most snorkeling is pretty far out, you may want to do an overnight.

Lucy

Smithers, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kayaking/snorelling

Thanks for the link Lucy

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kayaking/snorelling

Ah yes the crocodiles. You probably have a better chance of seeing a croc than a manatee, so I'd stay out of the water around the mangroves.

There is indeed a trick to getting back onto a kayak when you're in deep water, so it's better to practice close to shore. Reminds me of that painful movie "open WAter 2" where everybody jumps off the yacht and forget to lower a ladder. On a kayak you have of course secured the paddle. Keep your fins on, grasp the gunnels in either hand, give a big strong kick, and (here's the important part) pull the kayak into your stomach. You go flop very ungracefully into the boat, but no one is watching. Then slowly rearrange yourself in the boat. More or less the same thing in a 2-person kayak, but the other person is there to counterbalance the boat, making it easier. Of course this goes a lot faster when there's a croc after you.

Smithers, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kayaking/snorelling

haha...I have not seen that movie, but I can well imagine. Love your description of getting back into the kayak. Guess I should have practiced that manouver in the lake this summer!!! 2 man sounds like the way to go... that way at least 1 person will probably have success in getting back in and can tow the other back! haha Of course kicking and screaming all the way if pursued by a croc! :)

10. Re: kayaking/snorelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Placencia