We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying alcohol in the island?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Buying alcohol in the island?

Is it cheaper to buy duty free or on the way to the water taxi? Or is alcohol cheap on the island too? I’m talking rum and vodka mainly. Thanks!!

12 replies to this topic
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,572 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Buying alcohol in the island?

Vodka will be cheaper at duty free. Unless you’re talking about really good sipping rum, decent rum is available for cheap all over the island.

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,620 posts
2. Re: Buying alcohol in the island?

I buy local brands of liquor at grocery stores. I'm not a rum drinker, so won't make any recommendations -- best to do your own sampling -- I'm sure you'll find a good one. The vodka isn't as good as some imported brands, but it's OK for mixed drinks.

On the mainland, the cheap locally made brands (eg. Traveller's Liquors) cost about BZ$22 to $30 per bottle of approx. 1 litre (maybe a few $ more on CC?). Imported brands can be twice that price. I don't know about duty-free prices.

Edited: 02 October 2018, 20:33
Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
686 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Buying alcohol in the island?

The 5 barrel rum is delicious and readily available on Caye Caulker.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Buying alcohol in the island?

Thanks everyone!!

Jon
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Avalon
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
225 reviews
5. Re: Buying alcohol in the island?

I didn’t feel the prices at the duty free were worth the effort. I bought alcohol on the island. I found the 5 barrel rum to be much better than the 1 barrel rum. You might want to consider the duty free for a bottle of vodka at least.

Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
6. Re: Buying alcohol in the island?

Can wine be purchased on the island for reasonable prices?

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Buying alcohol in the island?

Wine? Good wine? No. Go see Josh at the Dreaded Grape. He’s got good wine but not cheap.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
8. Re: Buying alcohol in the island?

Belize has huge duty's on alcohol not produced in Belize, ex: wine, vodka, bourbon, etc., etc. Hence, it's best to drink Belizean produced beer & rum. Are they some of the world’s best, however still very good.

Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
9. Re: Buying alcohol in the island?

We have been to Caye Caulker a few times but not since 2012 and always thought the wine was a poor selection & expensive. We're coming again this winter. I thought maybe the wine was just expensive on the island. But it sounds like it's a Belize problem.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
686 posts
94 reviews
10. Re: Buying alcohol in the island?

The wine on the island is expensive. We turned out really loving Belikin Beer. We would get it by the case at cheaper rates. At happy hour most places it’s under $2 per bottle. We drank it and got the 5 Barrel rum and mixed it with fresh fruit juice blends and also add coconut rum too.

Reply to: Buying alcohol in the island?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted