We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get to CC from n.y area? is belize city best airport?

Ramsey N.j
Level Contributor
568 posts
54 reviews
how to get to CC from n.y area? is belize city best airport?

For those of you that traveled from JFK or LGA OR EWK to Caye Caulke rChecking It looks like you must take a connecting flight from NYC / N.J area? -Does that sound right?

Also is Belize City BZE Airport the only place to land from NY area if traveling to CC?

Any tips for reasonable flights would be appreciated. We some crazy layovers for flight.

Sean and Susan

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,558 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: how to get to CC from n.y area? is belize city best airport?

I think United has a nonstop flight from Newark to Belize City. Belize City, BZE, is the only international airport in Belize. Some people find it so much cheaper that they fly into Cancun, then, head to Belize by either a flight on Tropic Air, bus, transfer or rental car.

I understand the air strip on caye Caulker is closed at the moment for repairs. The water taxi from Belize City takes about an hour.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: how to get to CC from n.y area? is belize city best airport?

AA, United, Delta, SW Airways, Avianca all fly into BZE, our only intl airport.

Ramsey N.j
Level Contributor
568 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: how to get to CC from n.y area? is belize city best airport?

Thanks Forum Pros. I guess in May there are only flights with 1 stop. Expensive too $603.00 RT not counting getting to Caye Caulker. We were surprised how much Tropic Air went up in 10 Years! We keep reading its a great back packer and hostel destination. How do the kids afford it?

We checked out kayak and various other flight sites and just couldn't find a direct flight in May.

Looks like we settled on Weezies for the dock, pool, beach and great reviews of hosts and cleanliness. The host even emailed us and answered a couple questions we had about rooms right away.

We are going by taxi from BZE to water taxis to CC to save some money. $25.00 RT vs $190 RT. But you do waste some time especially when leaving CC

We love this forum. Very helpful and really do appreciate the tips and help.

If anyone has flown between April and June from N.Y area or stayed at Weezies, please feel free to chime in. We may just have to change dates to make it work.

Thanks Sean and Susan

Ramsey N.j
Level Contributor
568 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: how to get to CC from n.y area? is belize city best airport?

Been busy checking out direct flights from N.Y area and its a bust! Looks like a stop in Miami, Houston or Charlotte is necessary to get from N.Y, N.J area to BZE. I know we have to gage the layover too. Some layovers are only 30 to 45 minutes between flights. Seems way to tight to try that. Other are over 3 1/2 hours. We are going to have to put our thinking caps on for flights, to make this work.

Thanks Sean and Susan

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,558 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: how to get to CC from n.y area? is belize city best airport?

I do 45 minute layovers fairly frequently. Check the on time statistics for the flight you are considering. I think Charlotte is a fairly small airport, if you arne’t changing airlines, I’d go that route.

Ramsey N.j
Level Contributor
568 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: how to get to CC from n.y area? is belize city best airport?

Great tip jean Jeanh thanks so much

Sean and Susan

7. Re: how to get to CC from n.y area? is belize city best airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2018, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker