We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caye Caulker water

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Caye Caulker water

A friend just returned from Belize. She said there is a water pollution problem on Caye Caulker. How concerned should we be for our upcoming trip?

5 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
186 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Caye Caulker water

Did your friend give specifics as to what type of water pollution or what they saw? We spent 2 weeks on Caye Caulker over the holidays this year and we found it lovely. However, one must have the perspective that the island is quite small, the infrastructure is limited and there is a presence of trash in some areas. Overall, the water around the island was clean and clear. Understand, close to shore, there is sea grass and generally not swimmable from the beach/ shore. However, with so many piers and docks, accessing the water from there is easy. I recommend finding lodging that has their own pier. The Split is now repaired (was under construction when we were there) and they have a nice swimming area inside an artificial cove. There is also the main beach in the center of town and depending on the currents and sargassum, can be a very nice spot to swim directly from the beach. As for drinking water, drink bottled water, as one would in any developing country. Belize is beautiful and Caye Caulker is a charming and mellow place. If you go, no worries, just get in the groove of the slow pace and relax.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Caye Caulker water

Did you drink cocktails with ice?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,617 posts
331 reviews
3. Re: Caye Caulker water

We always ditch and refreeze the ice in rental kitchens using purified water just in case but assume that the ice served in drinks at restaurants that cater to tourists is safe.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
74 reviews
4. Re: Caye Caulker water

I did have fruit juices with ice for breakfast, sodas and iced tea without a problem. Also, The hotel provided unlimited filtered water which was nice.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Caye Caulker water

Thank you. That is same consensus o am getting from a lot of folks. I believe my friend must have become I'll from something else.

Reply to: Caye Caulker water
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker