We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zika an Issue Today?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
121 posts
103 reviews
Zika an Issue Today?

Hello! Just wondering if Zika is still a concern for people traveling to Caye Caulker? I really want to go there this February, but my husband and I are trying to get pregnant, too. Thanks!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,563 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Zika an Issue Today?

I did a Google search for Zika in Belize, and, read about 125 confirmed cases since November. Last year I read that zika was considered to be endemic on Caye Caulker.

Last I read CDC is recommending waiting for six months after a visit to a zika area to try and become pregnant.

Speak with your physician.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,612 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Zika an Issue Today?

I would request more recent figures and for the time of yr you plan to visit. Perhaps you plan to visit during the dry season.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
121 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: Zika an Issue Today?

I've tried finding newer info and can't seem to find any. I was wanting to travel there in February.

If I become pregnant, is this something I should overlook and still go? Or is this a real health scare that I should be concerned about and alter my travel plans?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,563 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Zika an Issue Today?

You need to speak with your physician. I have spent the past seven or eight winters in Belize. Some years virtually no mosquitoes, other years, there have been quite a few.

The mosquito that carries zika lives in Belize.

Please, please, speak with your physican. And, read the CDC information.

5. Re: Zika an Issue Today?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2018, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker