We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More time on Caye Caulker than the Mainland?

San Diego...
8 posts
More time on Caye Caulker than the Mainland?

Hi, I'm heading to Caye Caulker in October. I only have a week and was planning on spending 3 nights in C.C. and the other 3 on the mainland.

Do you think I should spend an extra day/ night on C.C.?

The only thing I want to do on the mainland is see waterfalls, jungles, and some caves.

Although I was hoping to do a day trip to Placencia. Not sure if that's do-able from the mainland.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
1. Re: More time on Caye Caulker than the Mainland?

I'd start the trip on the mainland.

If you head directly to San Ignacio, you can do a cave tour one day and see a waterfall the next day. How much rain-forest do you want to see? You'll probably see enough during those trips.

Placencia is part of the mainland, and you could see it as a day trip from San Ignacio, but it will be a long day. Other places to consider for stops: Bocawina, Cockscomb, Hopkins. I'd consider flying from Placencia to Caye Caulker to avoid more time on the road. Alternatively, you could begin your trip by flying to Placencia and working your way back to San Ignacio then CC. Perhaps spend that extra night at Placencia?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,617 posts
331 reviews
2. Re: More time on Caye Caulker than the Mainland?

It's personal preference, but a 3/3 split makes sense to me for a 1st visit. I wouldn't try to add Placencia in because of the added time, money, and hassle it would bring; MisterB has some good suggestions on how to make it work if that's a priority for you. You won't be able to see everything in 1 trip but I like to think of things I miss one trip as an excuse to return. :-)

You might want to add the Belize Zoo to your mainland list coming or going - very unique! www.belizezoo.org

3. Re: More time on Caye Caulker than the Mainland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2018, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker