We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize Newbie looking for advice

Iowa
Level Contributor
186 posts
136 reviews
Belize Newbie looking for advice

So I'm a Belize newbie and looking for help. We travel extensively throughout the Carribean islands but want to give Belize a try. We've only been to Belize on our first and last cruise and I have always wanted to get back there. I "think" we have it narrowed down to splitting San Pedro and Caye Caulker for two weeks. Is there one we should go to first? Placencia looks nice too, but looks more difficult and expensive to get to and harder to split time? We would love to wake up to a nice water view in the morning but don't require high end accommodations.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
665 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Belize Newbie looking for advice

We too were introduced to Belize on a cruise. We fell in love with Caye Caulker due to no cars, dirt streets, laid back casual atmosphere, great cheap food (go during lobster season) and world class snorkeling nearby. We went for a week this past Feb. with several friends and are returning this coming Feb. We thought about splitting with San Pedro but decided we wanted the slower vibe. But next Feb we are spending time in San Ignacio and Tikal to see more ruins.

Dallas
Level Contributor
186 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Belize Newbie looking for advice

We spent 2 weeks Caye Caulker over the holidays this year and loved it. As soon as we walked onto the dock from the water taxi, the relaxed vibe takes over and it is very easy to get into the rhythm of the island. We ventured to San Pedro for a day, but found it too busy for our tastes. Since you mentioned the mainland, there is a tour company on Caye Caulker, Raggamuffin Tours, and they have a 3 day catamaran sail from Caye Caulker to Dangriga. If we return to Belize, we would split our trip with a week on Caye Caulker, sail to Dangriga and then spend a week in that area. http://raggamuffintours.com/

We stayed at Colinda Cabanas and absolutely loved it. It is in a quiet area of the island, facing the sea, with a private pier. It is an easy 10 minute walk to the main area of town and a 15 minute walk to the split.

http://www.colindacabanas.com/ Good luck in your search!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Belize Newbie looking for advice

Don't forget the mainland for Maya sites, caves with artifacts, rain forest, river and horse trips and lots more. You can easily spend 4 or more nights there and be busy every day, if these actitivites and attractions appeal to you. Or base in Hopkins or Placencia for a bit of both.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Belize Newbie looking for advice

I split Ambergris and Caye Caulker and liked CC so much better for slow, easygoing vibe as others mentioned. If I do it again I would do some mainland exploring as mentioned then the rest on CC. Take a look at Seaside Cabanas # 1 or #2 where you have your own rooftop hot tub, hammock under a little palapa- perfect place for morning coffee and afternoon cocktails. We loved it there.

Amery, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Belize Newbie looking for advice

We are just back from a week in San Pedro. We spent a day on Caye caulker also. My opinion is, it really depends on what you want from your vacation. San Pedro had a lot of options for eating, shopping etc. If you really want to just hang out and relax Caye caulker would be nice but not a lot to do other than hang out at the split. If you want more options, restaurants, activities etc San Pedro would be a better bet. (If San Pedro you have to check out the chicken drop bingo at wahoo on Thursdays and hermit crab race at crazy cannucks on Tues)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Belize Newbie looking for advice

I met a few who split their time between San Pedro and CC and they all regretted it. Think you are better to focus on CC. If you want time elsewhere, definitely consider 3 day sailing trip from Caye Cualker as a break from the island. Also I stayed in Chila's cabin (via airbnb) and it was perfect. Was there 2 weeks ago. I've put up more info on the trip here which might help https:/…

Braselton, Georgia
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Belize Newbie looking for advice

We spent a week on Caye Caulker in July at Weezies yellow house and were very pleased with the island and accommodations. We rented bikes from Weezies and rode everywhere. Would have been too far in the heat to walk anywhere and the bikes made it more fun. It’s a beautiful island and I would describe it as both authentic Caribbean but also touristy. The water at the split is amazing, The beach at Koko King is bliss. The food is great and the people are interesting. There are some very nice places to stay and also some not so nice places. One of the best things about Caye Caulker is that there are no cars. Only bikes and golf carts, except for utility and delivery vehicles. There are a lot of stray dogs and cats but they seemed to be somewhat cared for and not sickly. My family did experience some tummy trouble for several days after returning to the states. Not sure why. We never were sick on the island and ate lobster and chicken grilled by street vendors. ( Chef Kareem’s lobster tail was awesome!). We snorkeled with Caveman (fantastic) and hung out on Weezies beautiful dock to read and relax. I definitely hope to return someday and would try to spend a few days on the mainland to see the Mayan ruins and rain forest before heading to Caye Caulker. My sister went to Placencia and said that it was beautiful but a little rustic unless you stay in one of the expensive resorts and that she couldn’t relax on the beach without people trying to sell her things. There was a little of that at the split but not Too much. We did not go to San Pedro but I’ve heard it’s not as laid back and relaxing as Caye Caulker but probably more to do if that’s what you want. Wherever you choose, have a great vacation!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,617 posts
331 reviews
8. Re: Belize Newbie looking for advice

I 2nd Katie's input about considering time on the mainland for jungle and caving adventures; we like to head there 1st and then end up on the water. Of the 3 beachy options you name we enjoy Caye Caulker the most, although we've had 2 nice weeks at Tranquility Bay Resort which is secluded on north Ambergris Caye - you can snorkel from shore there. Here’s a link from an old forum thread I like with good descriptions of beachy options in Belize:

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Here are links to our favorite place to stay on Caye Caulker and Tranquility Bay:

www.colindacabanas.com

www.tranquilitybayresort.com

Here are a few ideas in addition to Maya sites on the mainland:

Belize Zoo - really unique! www.belizezoo.org

Most popular cave trip, really awesome: http://pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

Another, less-visited amazing cave option in Cayo: http://actunchapatadventure.blogspot.com/

Green Iguana Project: https:/…belize-iguana-tour

Happy trails!

9. Re: Belize Newbie looking for advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2018, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker