We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caye Caulker or other Islands close to Belize International

El Paso, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Caye Caulker or other Islands close to Belize International

Hello all,

Well I am trying to plan a trip to Cay Caulker or somewhere that doesn't require a long ferry or another airplane trip on October 11th checking out the 16th. I am apprehensive because I have never been to Belize before. So if you all would be so kind to answer my questions I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to stay in the 800 or less range.

I am a single woman that is just looking for some R & R but will enjoy going to restaurants and exploring the island. So I found a few places but you know how looks are deceiving.

1. Any suggestions for a hotel, cabana or villa? I am not into roughing it to much. lol. I want air conditioning, a relatively bug free inside space, full kitchen, decent WIFI, cold and hot water, cable TV, preferably on the water or very close and SAFE!

2. Is Caye Caulker the closet area with a beach/water? I would prefer not to take another flight and don't want to spend 3 hours on a ferry.

3. Are there a lot of expats on the island?

4. Can you buy bottles of alcohol on the island?

5. Is there a more affordable place to rent a golf cart?

6. I am an animal lover and want to see/interact as much as possible with wildlife.

7. Best place to get groceries?

8. Any place on the island to rent a jet ski?

Some of the rental places that look decent, again I have no idea are:

The Sea Garden Cottage

Weezies Ocean Front Hotel

I actually believe a separate villa or cabana/house would be better for me as I would like a more quieter setting. That is unless you know of a better option..

I really appreciate any and all of your assistance ASAP as I need to make reservations.

Susan

6 replies to this topic
Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caye Caulker or other Islands close to Belize International

Santamaria, read my review of Sea Garden Cottage. We have stayed there twice. It's quiet and nicely furnished. The property manager is great to work with.

We went to Chans for groceries(Snacks and such) And Julia's for fresh squeezed juices.

You are not going to see a bunch of wildlife on Caye Caulker. There are however, Saltwater crocodiles.

Take a snorkeling excursion while you're there.

Not sure about jet ski's... I don't recall seeing any but it doesn't mean that they're not there.

Caye Caulker is the closest Caye to stay on from Belize City. It's about 40 minutes by water taxi. Caye Caulker is super laid back and chill.

You can rent bicycles from the property manager at Sea Garden if you were to rent there. You can also walk everywhere. We never rented a golf cart. Someone else may be able to answer that. Enjoy your planning and your trip.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
448 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caye Caulker or other Islands close to Belize International

Just to add to the previous post, you can buy alcohol on the island. The Belize rum is good, cheap and easy to mix with fresh fruit juices. We got fresh juice and fruit at the stand beside Errolyn's Fryjacks. Highly recommend both.

We did not rent jet skis but I seem to remember some down near the Split between the Sip n Dip and Lazy Lizard.

Also highly recommend Kareem's lunchside grill! Best lobster on island.

Braselton, Georgia
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caye Caulker or other Islands close to Belize International

We recently spent a week at Weezies yellow cottage and it was wonderful. We are a family of four and needed the larger cottage, but there are two smaller cottages there also. They have A/C, wifi, bottled water and a full kitchen. Also a pool shared by the three cottages and use of the other pools and pier at Weezies. We especially enjoyed the comfy lounge chairs on the pier. We did not rent a golf cart, but rented bikes for the week for I believe $5/day per person from Weezies. It is too far to walk anywhere, but we enjoyed being on the quiet side of the island. There is security onsite and we never felt unsafe. There are mosquito coils lit every night around the area, but pack bug spray. We didn't have much of a problem though. The water taxi or ferry from Belize City was around 45 minutes. There is a beautiful sandy beach called Koko King but you need to take a very short ferry across the split to get there. If you spend at least $10 at the restaurant/bar at the beach the ferry is free. You can catch the ferry on the other end of the road where you see the Ocean Ferry, if I remember correctly, and it goes back and forth all day. We spent a lot of time swimming and hanging out at the Split near the Lazy Lizard. The water is gorgeous and clear! We went on an amazing snorkel trip to the barrier reef with Caveman, and all week my husband snorkeled at the split and around Weezies pier and saw starfish, stingrays, lots of fish. On the island we saw several iguana. There are a lot of dogs everywhere that don't seem to belong to anyone and I'm not sure who is feeding them, but they seem fairly healthy and are friendly. There are jet skis near Maras Sip n Dip. I don't know the cost. Food can be expensive but you can find some reasonable places. We never had a bad meal anywhere. Get Kareem's unbelizeable lunch - a grill set up across from the playground. Fantastic lobster tail. Aunties has really good stew chicken and delicious banana shakes and very inexpensive. Errolyns fry jacks and fresh juice from the juice bar next door is great for breakfast.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caye Caulker or other Islands close to Belize International

Hey,

I have stayed both in San Pedro and Caye Caulker. Am also a solo female traveller and was on a budget. San pedro is more chilled and an older/ more money type of traveller. Caye Caulker is a party island but not the type that you would be woken up through the night by loud music- the food there is incredible.

There isn't really a beach on Caye Caulker but you can go down to the split.

I stayed in Popeyes which is mid range and at Sandbar hostel in San Pedro, would recommend both.

Loads of expats on both. Supermarkets so you can buy alcohol and food.

No jet skiis and not sure about gold carts as I didn't hire one but did see them, if you are on a budget though think they were quite pricey

Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caye Caulker or other Islands close to Belize International

Caye Caulker is a roughing it type island, but a great experience. I hope you've done your research on this trip. No beaches, no jet skis. Not that kind of place. My wife got "no-see-um's" or sand-fleas. It sounds awful and it was for her. They didn't touch me. Good luck.

Hudson, Iowa
Level Contributor
209 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caye Caulker or other Islands close to Belize International

Susan, Caye Caulker is awesome, you should definately go! I was there with my boyfriend and we rented a house on the other side of the island from the split. He likes to lay around and read a book, but that's not me! I had a bike and rode to town everyday, all over the island. I loved it, NEVER felt unsafe, the people there are unbelievably friendly. Went snorkeling by myself and with a group. You can go to the animal shelters and they will let you take a dog for a walk. We actually had one adopt us for the last few days we were there, that was great. I hope we see him again when we return in Feb. I would buy your alcohol at the duty free in the airport at Belize City, it is alot cheaper and you have more variety.

I would look at Colinda Cabanas to stay, I checked them out when we were there in Jan and think they would be perfect. You have your own really cute cabana, but you are kind of in a compound. You are right on the beach, but on the opposite side of the split, away from the noise and bussell of that area, which isn't really that much. And a bike and kayaks come with your stay. The owner was really nice and accomodating. I think it is under $100 a night, free coffee and purified water. Happy travels!

Reply to: Caye Caulker or other Islands close to Belize International
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker
Recent Conversations