We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices

Bennett, Colorado
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Prices

We are going to Caye Caulker June 2 2017.

We are staying at a local house.

Are the prices for alcoholic beverages reasonable on Caye Caulker? Or would we save a ton of money buying from Belize and bringing with us on the ferry? Same with groceries. We would rather get it from Caye if its not ridiculous.

Can we snorkel right off any of the beaches? Is it worth the money to go to "The Blue Hole" if we are just snorkeling?

Mentioned in this post
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,481 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
9 replies to this topic
Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
617 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices

Belikin beer is about $2.50 US per bottle, cheaper if you get by case. Caye Caulker has cheap eats everywhere. We originally planned to make breakfasts and lunches at the condo, but when we got there it was just cheaper to eat out.

Mixed drinks are not badly priced with local rum and taking advantage of happy hours. Unless you have a favorite liquor, I would just wait.

Mentioned in this post
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,481 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,197 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices

What kind of "alcoholic beverages"?

Beer bought at a bar is BZ$4 to $6 depending on the bar. If you buy it by the bottle at a grocery store, it's about BZ$2.50 to $3.50 per bottle. If you buy it by the case directly from the distributor, it was about BZ$50 per case of 24 bottles, but the price was increased last month (due to increased tax in the government's budget).

I don't buy spirits at bars, but I sometimes buy a large bottle (approx. 1 litre) at a grocery store. The price of these bottles is about BZ$25. These are bottles of spirits sold by Belizean distilleries, not imported brands.

Note: US$1 = BZ$2

I wouldn't buy groceries on the mainland just because I wouldn't want to carry it to the caye.

You can snorkel at the split, but it's not the reef so won'r be very interesting. You need a boat to get to the reef.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices

If you are a wine drinker, beware the prices of wine are high on CC. I did not have a chance to compare to the mainland. A bottle of Yellowtail or similar Cabernet that would cost $6 in the US was around $15 on CC, and that was the least expensive wine I found.

Dallas
Level Contributor
166 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices

Wine is expensive. A normal bottle of say Yellowtail was around $15 usd. Premium rums were more reasonable at around $15 for a litre bottle. The cheap rums were close to $10 usd, but not as good. There are many types of beer, like the Belikin brands. Also, there is a unique Guinness, local to the area. It is similar in color to standard extra draught Guinness, but the weight is more lager style. However, the abv is around 8%, and was good. There is another Dragon Stout, heavier than the local Guinness with abv around 8-9%. Price for beer was generally around $2 usd/ $4 bz. There are many markets where you can purchase alcohol. Stop in one, grab a beer from the cooler, open it up, walk down the street until you are thirsty for another one! :) Don't be alarmed if you pay $2 for a beer at noon and then at 2pm, pay $2.50 for the same bottle of beer. Just roll with it. :) I agree with above, I would not bring alcohol or groceries from the mainland; it's just not necessary as there are many places to get supplies and the water taxi will likely be full and a bit cramped. Plenty of cheap and delicious eats to be found as well.

Dallas
Level Contributor
166 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices

Follow up on snorkeling; if you are staying somewhere with a pier, you can swim off the end and snorkel a bit. Be advised, it is mostly sea grass, though you may spot a ray or two and maybe starfish and the random fish. To get to the really good snorkeling, you will need to hire a boat to take you to the reef, where you will see turtles, rays, sharks and coral with many types of fish. We used Carlos Tours and went out on his catamaran to Hol Chan Marine Reserve and had a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Hol Chan Marine Reserve
Hol Chan Marine Reserve
6,039 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices

If you are interested in a non-Belizean rum, say bourbon or vodka I would buy a couple bottles @ the duty free stores at the airport as you come into the country (maybe even wine). All being said Belizean rum and beer are good, no need to worry about that! Most people who are truly interested in the Blue Hole are divers not snorkelers. I'd save lots of money and time, snorkel with a local company on the reef directly off Caye Caulker.

Mentioned in this post
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,481 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices

we are here now and went with caveman tours on Monday...do not miss the Reef trip! We swam with nurse sharks, manatees, giant rays, massive turtles and it was worth every penny. All day trip with 6-8 snorkeling dives was $65 US per person. We are planning our next trip already! Lovely laid back place...Great tour guides with Caveman!

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
617 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices

Glad you have fallen under CC's spell too! And caveman is great!!! Don't forget to try Chef Kareem's Unbelizable Lunch on the beach across from playground. The lobster is fantastic!

Lewiston, Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prices

We too loved Caveman Tours - last year. Going back this year and will do the same. Loved Chef Juan's too. Ate there four or five times. Looking forward to next week.... Barefoot beach (parrot's perch) here we come!

Edited: 13 October 2017, 21:35
Mentioned in this post
Barefoot Beach Belize
Barefoot Beach Belize
506 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Reply to: Prices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted