We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CUN to BZE ... have the direct flights stopped on Mayan Air?

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
CUN to BZE ... have the direct flights stopped on Mayan Air?

We have 4 persons traveling from Cancun to San Pedro (via BZE) on 12/10/11. I saw a few months ago direct flights on Mayan air. I do not see them now??? Anybody know if they have stopped the direct route. Any other options?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,705 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CUN to BZE ... have the direct flights stopped on Mayan Air?

last I heard they were 'temorarily suspended'. Whatever that means. Other options are transfer companies or the bus. If you take a bus to Chetumal, and timing is right, you can take a water taxi directly to San Pedro.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CUN to BZE ... have the direct flights stopped on Mayan Air?

Unfortunately more cons that pros regarding that flight as far as I have heard.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CUN to BZE ... have the direct flights stopped on Mayan Air?

They are due back in November, in the meantime, from October ADO Bus company will have a direct service to Belize City, that is what I would use. Maya are subject to cancelling flights at short notice - international that is.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CUN to BZE ... have the direct flights stopped on Mayan Air?

Yes, ADO will have a direct bus from Cancun to BC. Best bus line you'll see in the hemisphere. Makes Greyhound look like a port-a-pottie. Fast too.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CUN to BZE ... have the direct flights stopped on Mayan Air?

I make this bus trip often! It's cheap, but long. The bus can tend to be cold, so take a blanket and wear long sleeves, socks etc. Also loud, violent movies usually playing in Spanish, so if you don't enjoy those, take your Ipod or DVD player or something to help pass the time. The bus bathroom is unsavory, but you will make a couple of stops with clean, provisioned bathrooms at $5 pesos each. Take snacks and water. Get a seat in the front half of the bus, arrange border transfers with Henry or George. Your resort can help with that end. As for direct flights, latest is that Tropic may now start direct flights utilizing their Caravans, Maya was flying a larger plane (an ATR I think), and it was just not financially feasible. We would all love a direct flight from SPR/CUN and have been waiting for years for a reliable service to commit. So far, the only reliable service has proved to be ADO bus or paying big bucks for taxi or private transfers. I will wholeheartedly agree that ADO is better than Greyhound, (that doesn't take much), and their stations are way cleaner and safer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CUN to BZE ... have the direct flights stopped on Mayan Air?

Ive never seen a dirty ADO bathroom but have never gone further south than Limones on that route... Also, last June I wore jeans expecting the bus to Merida to be frigid. I would suggest bringing a blanket/shawl as Stace suggested instead of wearing long pants. It was hellish in them when I got off the bus!

suitcaseready.com

santa elena cayo...
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CUN to BZE ... have the direct flights stopped on Mayan Air?

When we contacted Maya Air two weeks ago, we were told that they fly on demand. Just contact their office.

8. Re: CUN to BZE ... have the direct flights stopped on Mayan Air?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro