We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel selection

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel selection

Ok everyone, having a hard time on deciding which hotel to stay in. There will be 2 couples, mid 50's traveling to Ambergris next summer. The choices are Ramon's, Banana Beach or Banyan Bay. We are avid snorkelers that want to eat, drink, shop and do snorkel trips. Let me know which one you would choose and why it would be best for the 4 of us.

Thanks,

Kay

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,389 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel selection

Banana Beach and Banyan Bay are both about 1 1/2 miles south of town. Walkable, but, you might want a golf cart.

I've never been in the rooms at Banana Beach. If you get one of the units that faces the ocean, it wouldn't be a bad place to stay. I wouldn't want one of the rooms that just overlooks the pool. Feels too 'motel like'. I've eaten several times at El Divino the restaurant there, some meals were excellent, others pretty bad. There's a sea wall in front of the property.

Banyan Bay is just a bit closer to town. I think all the units are two bedroom. The one that I was in was very, very nice. Unlike some two bedroom units I've seen, both the bedrooms and bathrooms were nice. Nice pool, nice stretch of beach. I haven't eaten in the on site restaurant in several years, I hear mixed reviews, the setting is very nice.

Ramon's is essentially right in town, a few blocks south of downtown. Really nice stretch of beach. I've only been in one room, it was ok, expensive for what you get. I'd rather stay in a condo, although I like the location. If you're interested in a condo, look at the Palms, right next door, you can use Ramon's beach, though, not the loungers there.

If the nicest room is your priority, I'd go with Banyan Bay. Banana Beach often has really good summer time specials, you might be able to save a bundle staying there.

Before we bought on Ambergris, we stayed very close to Ramon's at Belizean Reef. We really like the location. No problems with noise or anything. It was handy to be so close to town. Easy to make a quick run to Ruby's for fresh cinnamon rolls in the morning.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,716 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel selection

Traveling in the summer will mean that air conditioning could be an important factor. If that is important to you, be sure the place you choose has ac.

3. Re: Hotel selection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Ambergris Caye