We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM or Lamanai tour??

Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
ATM or Lamanai tour??

We're finalizing our plans for Feb 2012 and just wondering which tour would be better? We plan to visit only 1 Mayan ruin during our 8 day visit and we're staying on Ambergris Caye the entire time so we would be booking a trip through a tour company on the Island.

Lamanai appeals to me partly because of the boat trip and the wildlife but any opinions are welcome.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM or Lamanai tour??

These 2 are pretty different:

Lamanai is a ruin complex and includes fantastic birding on the way on the boat ride. The guides are REALLY good, they spot birds speeding down the river. Don't forget your binoculars!

You have the opportunity to climb ruins and get a great view of the lake and surrounding countryside.

If your tour first flies to Belize City, you would also have a 1.5 hr bus ride at the beginning and end of the tour.

Actun Tunichil Muknal is a cave. You hike about 2 miles to get to it, crossing a small creek several times. You swim a short distance to enter the cave. There are numerous Mayan artifacts in the cave including a skeleton bonded to the floor. You see a lot of Mayan pottery. You will drive from Belize City about 2 hours on each end of the tour.

My personal favorite is Lamanai, but that is because I am so interested in the birds. The last time I took this tour we saw several huge Jabiru storks!

Lucy

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,273 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM or Lamanai tour??

I havent been to ATM but Chechem Ha - a similar but dry cave - was a highlight of many trips to Belize.

The trip to Lamanai is better than the ruins, which I dont remember at all (but Ive been to a lot of them!). The driver does zip along, then stops and points - and there are two teeny baby alligator eyes popping up out of the water. Or bats, or birds. You also pass through a Mennonite community, which is cool (especially when you spot bad Mennonite boys in a boat hiding under a tree smoking cigarettes; or women swimming in full length dresses and bonnets).

suitcaseready.com

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM or Lamanai tour??

Like you said, I think Lamanai would be more appealing to you, due to the river boat ride and available wildlife along the way. As Evening stated.....you'll pass by the mennonite community of Shipwreck along the way, as well. Enjoy!

Edited: 01 September 2011, 22:01
Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM or Lamanai tour??

Here are pics of a trip to Lamanai, it is a great trip.

Lamanai

http://tacogirl.com/2010/06/lamanai/

If you want a bit shorter though I recommend Altun Ha.

tacogirl.com/2007/11/altun-ha-with-seaduced/

Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM or Lamanai tour??

Wow fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing!! I really am looking forward to the trip now, except for maybe that big bug !

6. Re: ATM or Lamanai tour??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Ambergris Caye