We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches - Ambergris Caye or Placencia

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches - Ambergris Caye or Placencia

I am confused by what I have been reading. I read in several places that Placencia has the prettiest beaches but then I read that the sand is brown and course and that for beaches go to Ambergris. I am little worried about the grass also but can probably get past that if the beach is still pretty and a relaxing place.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches - Ambergris Caye or Placencia

Do you have something you want to ask?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,215 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches - Ambergris Caye or Placencia

The sand at Placencia is not the whitest sand I've seen at a beach, but it's far from being brown. And while it's not the finest sand I've ever encountered, it's not that course that it would ruin a day on the beach.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,020 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches - Ambergris Caye or Placencia

I'm one of those who dislikes the sand on the beaches in Placencia (I'm talking about in the village itself). The sand is coarse enough that it hurt my feet to walk barefoot, and I spend a lot of time without shoes.

The beaches are very pretty, wide and lots of palm trees.

The beaches on Ambergris are narrower, the sand is softer and whiter and there is sea grass almost everywhere. The water is also clearer and more of that Caribbean blue.

The reality is Belize doesn't have world class beaches. If a stunning beach is your top priority, you might look at a different destination. It's beautiful here, the ocean is gorgeous, the people are friendly. Parts of the mainland are absolutely stunning. Lots of things to do.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches - Ambergris Caye or Placencia

Ambergris has soft sand, but not what I would call beaches, at least not in the more populous southern area, where the sand road essentially adjoins the sea. To the north the beaches are a bit nicer, but they are still pedestrian routes. Placencia as commented upon is coarse sand, think demarara sugar rather than icing sugar. There are the odd areas (where I live for example) which have small and very velvety beaches and no sea grass, but the emphasis is on small rather than the sweeping beaches of the tropical dream. If you want to just sit on a beach like that, maybe Belize is not for you.

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches - Ambergris Caye or Placencia

What do you want to do on the beach? If you want to walk into the water and swim, Ambergris Caye is not great for that. Perhaps that is why every resort seems to have multiple pools. If you want to lie out and look at the ocean, Ambergris is great for that. Granted, you might do so on a pool deck adjacent to the beach.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches - Ambergris Caye or Placencia

Many say that Placencia has the only real beach in Belize. It does have coarser sand. It's much more picturesque though, and you can walk a ways along it without seeing other people, or seeing just a few.

7. Re: Beaches - Ambergris Caye or Placencia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 21:16