We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

We just had a question on email that I have never had in 26 years of answering questions about Belize! A cruise ship passenger wrote and told me that the cruise ship company told her that she only needed her birth certificate and passport, and she is requesting confirmation from me. Is that true? Even if they go to Altun Ha for example, they don't need a passport? I am quite surprised if this is so. Can you Belize experts enlighten me?

Lucy

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

I'm amazed they would do that! I wonder if all of the countries in the Caribbean have made these changes. Thanks Katie and everyone!

Lucy

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

That's weird, I replied to this, then it disappeared. So if there are 2, that's why.

I just wanted to say it is amazing to me that they changed the laws... I wonder if all of the other Caribbean nations did likewise? Thanks Katie and everyone for your help.

Lucy

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

wont they still need a passport to get back into the US?

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

Katzgar,

I guess if they are on the same ship they left the US on, they won't need one.

Lucy

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

i would ask the cruise line for a definitive answer

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,389 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

When I was reading about this topic yesterday, the web pages I looked at, kept calling a cruise a 'closed loop'. Sounds more like a loophole to me. I would think any country would want better control over who enters their country.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

i agree. people coming back into the US from a cruise have potentially been to a variety of cities/countries outside the US. One would think they would have to go through customs coming back into the US just like any other traveler.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

This demonstrates the amazing political influence of the cruise ship industry in the U.S.. The exemption for closed loop cruises, returning to the same port of departure, you can visit any number of countries and no passport required.

Caribbean cruises might stop in four or five countries, but as long as they return to the same port of departure, they're exempt. U.S. citizens are required to make declarations and clear customs upon re-entry, just don't need a passport. It makes no sense, but obviously makes a great deal of cents to cruise lines.

In this day and age, I can't imagine not having a passport. Cruise lines will warn that in the event of family emergency or your need to fly back into the country, expect difficulties.

19. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 17:15