We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

We just had a question on email that I have never had in 26 years of answering questions about Belize! A cruise ship passenger wrote and told me that the cruise ship company told her that she only needed her birth certificate and passport, and she is requesting confirmation from me. Is that true? Even if they go to Altun Ha for example, they don't need a passport? I am quite surprised if this is so. Can you Belize experts enlighten me?

Lucy

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

I did a google search and read different answers on different sites. It's hard to believe a person might not need one, but, at least according to some sites, you don't.

Maybe the Belize Tourism Board knows the answer.

Personally, I can't imagine leaving the country I live in without a valid passport, even if 'maybe' I can........if something happened and you had to fly home unexpectedly. I don't know how they would even be allowed on a plane.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

Jeanh,

Wow, thanks. That's nice of you to do the research, I figured someone would just know this. I have written my contacts at the BTB, and once they answer I will post it here so we will all know next time.

You also make a good point about what if you had to fly home? I will bring that up with her, no matter what the official answer is. thanks again.

Lucy

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

Yes, a passport is required to get off the ship and enter Belize; same as it would be for a Belizean on a cruise ship to the US, except they will not need a visa, as Belizeans do to enter the US. I think its something like only 10% of Americans have passports.

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

As easy as it is to get a passport these days, I can't understand why people don't simply get one and then they don't have to worry about things like this. I'm glad you straightened everything out, Katie! Saludos

Edited: 02 September 2011, 21:44
belize
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

Additionally, the US now requires its citizens to have passports to travel across the border into MX and Canada, where once they only needed paperwork. That law has been in effect for some time now.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

Thanks everyone! It must be interesting at various ports when cruise ship guests who were told they don't need a passport try to get off the ship and aren't allowed to!

Lucy

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

Thanks Katie, I'd say 80-90% of the websites I looked at stated you didn't need a passport to cruise to Belize. Some sort of exemption.

For land crossings to Mexico and Canada there are small cards, look like credit cards that can be used to cross. I got one when I renewed my passport, not sure if you can get one without also getting a passport.

I thought it might be useful as photo ID at some point.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

Woah! Update! I just heard from my friend at the BTB.

Hi Lucy!

Good to hear from you! I just confirmed that what the company has told her is correct. Also, if she goes to Altun Ha, she will not need a passport either.

Regards,

Deborah Gilharry

Travel Trade Coordinator

Belize Tourist Board

P.O. Box 325

#64 Regent Street

Belize City, BELIZE

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

Jean....They're called passport cards and you can get one without a passport. They only work for land crossings, however.

belize
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do cruise ship passengers need a passport?

BTB then had BZ immigration change the laws to capitulate to cruise ship demands because, before, it was mandatory to have a passport to disembark.