We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten-free fare in Apalachicola

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Topic
Gluten-free fare in Apalachicola

I'm looking for help finding restaurants in the area that offer interesting, gluten-free meals. I have celiac disease so I need to stick to places that have chefs that understand how to safely prepare gluten-free meals.

The places others have told me are gluten-free friendly are The Owl Cafe, Verandas and Tamara's. We're staying on SGI at a beach house so we'll be eating several meals in, but will want enjoy a couple of lunches and dinners out as well. Thanks if anyone can share some helpful info ;)

Edited: 20 August 2011, 23:40
atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten-free fare in Apalachicola

For anyone else going to this area, make sure to pack and take your own staples (bread, buns, crackers, cookies, waffles, pasta, etc.) as there do not seem to be any stores there that sell such gluten-free products. Interesting.

Apalachicola...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten-free fare in Apalachicola

The Natural Medicine Store at 56 Market St., Apalachicola has gluten-free breads, crackers, cookies & ice cream if you call ahead she can order most anything you need . The phone number is 850-653-4886.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten-free fare in Apalachicola

Thanks for the info! I actually found their site the other day and spoke to someone about what they carry yesterday. She was really helpful and it seems that we'll be able to pick up a couple of things down there that the store carries that we like. We'll take fresh gluten-free pasta from Whole Foods in ATL and several other things as usual. Some of the stocked brands of items down there are not our favorites. To say we're gluten-free food snobs is a bit of an understatement.

It seems that for dining, Veranda's Bistro, Owl Cafe and Tamara's are by far the most knowledgeable re: serving gluten-free customers. Some places in the area don't seem to know what gluten is which is common for the panhandle of FL.

For anyone else going down to this area that week, the health food store mentioned above is open ONLY on Tuesday before Thanksgiving. They are closed the rest of the week for the holiday.

Edited: 07 October 2011, 01:53
Apalachicola
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten-free fare in Apalachicola

The owl cafe offers gluten free fare and the Piggly Wiggly also has gluten free products.

Apalachicola...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten-free fare in Apalachicola

I was in the Piggly Wiggly recently and seen a couple of items that were gluten free. Particlularly cookies, crackers and pasta.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten-free fare in Apalachicola

Thanks for the info on Piggly Wiggly! Boy does that take me back in time...lol! I didn't even know there were any Piggly Wiggly stores anymore. There was one in the town I grew up in near there, but I think it closed years ago.

The Owl Cafe Chef is really knowledgeable re: gluten-free options and will try to modify dishes to be safe when possible. I'm excited to go back for the first time since my celiac dx over five years ago as I remember the food there being really great.

Adirondack Mountains
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gluten-free fare in Apalachicola

I've been GF for 15 years and agree with the other posters - the Owl is great and waitstaff will tell you what's gluten free - the owners have done a great job educating their staff. Last night we went to Up The Creek with our Black Lab (porch dining is dog friendly)...they do not have a dedicated menu but the chef and a couple of owners came out to the counter and helped me select a meal - (I needed to explain cross contamination in the fryer but now they know & they were very nice) - I got a vegetarian salad and they doubled the fried plantains since I could not have the chips or fries. My husband had oysters and I had one with capers and they were excellent. We have not yet been to the Hole In The Wall but they told me they can feed safely and we will go there. I did not have a good experience at Caroline's (gluen - what's that)? I don't expect everyone to always know but I do expect them to offer to ask the chef!!! Except for that one experience, I've found everyone else to be very friendly, helpful and appreciative of the business and we'll return to those businesses.

8. Re: Gluten-free fare in Apalachicola

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Apalachicola