We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aspen in April

Florida
Level Contributor
754 posts
60 reviews
Aspen in April

Our son's spring break is unfortunatly going to be late this year. April 6-10. Trying to find which resort is Colorad will have the best skiing conditions for this time of year.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Aspen in April

The skiing in late season is often fantastic. It's the perfect time of year to come since it's warm out but we've had plenty of snow in March and through April. The usual late season rules apply anywhere- go up higher, stay up higher, follow the sun. The bottom of the mountain will get slushy by the end of the day but you only need to use that when you're headed in.

Most resorts are skiable well into early May but we all close because there are no more US holidays and the rest of the country has turned thoughts to warm weather activities. You really will be fine.

Florida
Level Contributor
754 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Aspen in April

Great news. We take our son out of school for a week in January to go skiing and I knew I cound't get away with taking him out another week in March so we will have to wait till spring break. Better for us to stay in Aspen or Snowmass? How far apart are these 2 resorts? Me and my son like the blues while hubby skies the blacks.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Aspen in April

I'd recommend checking out www.aspensnowmass.com as that spells out everything you need to know about how to get around the resort, where to eat, etc. Snowmass is very popular with families as there is a huge diversity of terrain for all ability levels and access to the mountain is very easy, but Aspen works too. Look over the website and let me know if you have more questions.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
276 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Aspen in April

In deciding between Aspen and Snowmass, you should definitely take into consideration that April is late in the season. Although the Snowmass ski area will still be open, the "village" , could well be in wind-down mode. I would definitely stay in Aspen (a a real town) and take the bus to Snowmass to ski. Stay on or near the free bus route and within walking distance of the Gondola -- that means near Ruby park or along Durant Street to the west of the Gondola (Limelight Lodge (moderate priced hotel rooms (I think) and completely newly built this year) Mountain Chalet moderate priced hotel rooms, Lift One Condos (moderate priced 1,2,3 bdroom condos and the bus lets you off right in front, Hotel Durant (small hotel moderate prices across the street from LIft One, the St. Regis(expensive) and Hyatt(expensive) are all on or very close to the bus route and walking distance to the Gondola and without a steep hill to negotiate. Use the interactive map on the Ski aspen snowmass website stayaspensnowmass.com/p-aspen-colorado-map.p… to locate properties, then book directly with the lodge or condo to get the best deals. Unfortunately, the bus route isn't also on this map and the map shows south (uphill) at the top, so it is a little confusing.... But the bus leaves Ruby Park going west on Durant, turns north(downhill) on Aspen, then west on Main street to go the Snowmass. Coming back, the but goes up Garmisch to Durant to Ruby Park. There are stops leaving at Cooper and Aspen, and coming back at Aspen and Durant. Note that most places will not be full for that week so you have time to shop around. (In fact the town isn't even full for New Year's yet).

Florida
Level Contributor
754 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Aspen in April

How long of a bus ride is it between the two resorts?

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Aspen in April

At the two farthest points from Snowmass Mountain to Aspen Mountain it is 20 minutes on the skier shuttle in the daytime, but as that makes more stops at night I'd allow for 30 at that time. There are also stops in between for Highlands and Buttermilk, though there are also designated direct buses for those mountains too. Shuttles are very frequent during the morning and afternoon with about a 5-7 minute wait between them, during midday it would be a longer wait for the next bus, perhaps about 15 minutes.

Florida
Level Contributor
754 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Aspen in April

Great. So we will also be able to ski Highlands and Buttermilk also. I didn't realize these we all so close.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
276 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Aspen in April

Unfortunately for your plans, Aspen Highlands and Buttermilk have planned closing dates for April 5th, 2009. Snowmass and Aspen mountain's planned closing dates are both April 12th. That's one reason that the April rates are lower for all the hotels and condos and there are deals on lift tickets also.

9. Re: Aspen in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Aspen