We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last minute trip to Colorado

Reisterstown MD
Level Contributor
436 posts
13 reviews
last minute trip to Colorado

We have planned a last minute trip to colorado the first week of October. we plan to spend two nights in Boulder , 2 nights in Estes to go to RMNP, and then head to Aspen Sunday night for three nights. Planning on the following- will be staying at Aspen Mountain Chalet-

Arriving Sunday night around 9pm

Monday - wake up for sunrise at Maroon Bells - hike to Crater Lake

Tuesday - biking day- biking the Rio Grande Trail , plan to bike about 40 miles and bus back

Wednesday - Drive independance Pass, flight leaves Denver at 5:30pm

are there any other hikes worth doing to fill up a day on Monday ? I'll be with my 28 year ols and we are fit and in good shape.

thank you so much !

7 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
178 reviews
1. Re: last minute trip to Colorado

I hate to be more than a couple of hours from the airport on my departure day. If all goes well you have plenty of time, but if there are any glitches...flat tire, mechanical problem, rockfall or wreck causing a delay or detour...

I would put the two Boulder days at the end of the trip for that reason and also the earlier in the trip you get to Aspen/Maroon Bells, the better chance there might be a little bit of fall color.

Reisterstown MD
Level Contributor
436 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: last minute trip to Colorado

I wish I could but for other reasons , unfortunately we can’t . Is there any other hiking worthwhile to do ?

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
142 reviews
3. Re: last minute trip to Colorado

Ute Trail is an afternoon hike that is an option. It gives you a nice view over Aspen. If you go to Ute Rock it is about a mile straight up:

https://www.aspentrailfinder.com/ute-trail/

For a hike close to your lodging, check out the Ajax. If you want to push yourself, you can go up Summer Road to the top.

Trailhttps://www.aspentrailfinder.com/ajax-trail/

USA
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: last minute trip to Colorado

A nice option is to just hike further into the Maroon Bells Wilderness area, past Crater Lake. You could go to the pass and back. Lots of hikes in the area. USFS can give you info on hikes, distance, elevation gain, etc.

Edited: 24 September 2018, 04:23
Colorado
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
142 reviews
5. Re: last minute trip to Colorado

P.S. you probably already know this but.... Crater Lake is not the end of the trail, you can keep going if you want a longer hike in the wilderness area. It gets much quieter after Crater lake and that is nice to me.

P.S.S. Crater Lake is pretty much a big mud puddle at this point. The views are the attraction more than the "lake".

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
390 reviews
6. Re: last minute trip to Colorado

You may know this already, but when biking the trail, a great place to stop for lunch or a break is Woody Creek Tavern (watch for the sign for "Woody Creek" at about 10 miles.) Or, Basalt at 20 miles is a fun little town to explore and have lunch or a break. We did this about two weeks ago and it was a great ride. Just go to any bus stop for the ride back, but make sure you have cash in exact change for the bus. They do not give you change, so if the ride is $9 and you have a $20...no change back. Also, Woody Creek Tavern does not take credit, so take extra cash.

When going over Independence Pass, be sure to stop at the Grotos Trail and hike to the ice caves and up to the Cascades. Only about an hour total on your stop, but the photos from the Grotos were amazing.

Reisterstown MD
Level Contributor
436 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: last minute trip to Colorado

Thank you so much . Yes have all that information . We are hoping to do the whole bike ride and then bus it all the way back . Thank you for the information about the fare situation - great to know !!!

Reply to: last minute trip to Colorado
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted