We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-October Visit - From DEN or COS?

Libertyville...
11 posts
Mid-October Visit - From DEN or COS?

My husband and I have an opportunity to stay at a Dancing Bear residence for a few nights, October 9-12. We are coming from northern Illinois. He will drive (hates airplanes) and I will fly. Hubby is planning to spend a couple of days in Colorado Springs before I arrive. I'd like to join him for the drive to Aspen. We're not sure if we should meet up in CS or in Denver. It looks like the drive from either city is about the same? Is there any advantage in driving from one over the other? I can fly into either COS or DEN. My return will be out of DEN. Maybe I just answered my own question . . . drive into Aspen from CS then out to Denver, for two different - hopefully scenic - drives.

3 replies to this topic
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
1. Re: Mid-October Visit - From DEN or COS?

If independence pass is open which it should be in mid October the drive is similar length. If there is weather and its closed then you go from Colorado springs to denver to get to Aspen.

You can go up 24 from Colorado springs to twin lakes then over independence pass to Aspen. On the way home go out to Glenwood springs and take 70 back through Glenwood canyon. You could detour off 70 at silverthorne and take 6 over Loveland pass and rejoin 70.

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
146 reviews
2. Re: Mid-October Visit - From DEN or COS?

That is a score getting a room at Dancing Bear. Make sure to check out the rooftop amenities. A very well run property in a great location.

Libertyville...
11 posts
3. Re: Mid-October Visit - From DEN or COS?

Looking forward to our visit to Aspen and our stay at Dancing Bear. It looks amazing. I'm lucky enough to know someone who just bought an ownership there, and won't be using his full week.

618keith, thanks for the route information. That's the way we'll go. I was under the impression that Independence Pass closes after Labor Day. We'll make sure to check that's it's open before we leave.

Reply to: Mid-October Visit - From DEN or COS?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aspen