We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop in Aspen area on our way to Estes

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Stop in Aspen area on our way to Estes

Hi we will be coming from Ouray on September 16th and have two days before our reservation in Estes. We were thinking about stopping to see Aspen and Maroon Bells. I have two reservations made and can cancel one once we decide which way to go. My question is coming from Ouray, should we stay in Carbondale or Snowmass? If we stay in Carbondale do we head through Glenwood springs to get to Estes? Would this be a faster route than staying in Snowmass? Should we avoid this due to the construction? Would Snowmass be a better choice based on wanting to see Maroon Bells and Aspen? If so, is independence pass the quickest route to Estes?

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop in Aspen area on our way to Estes

If you are heading to Estes in the am from Carbondale, SV or Aspen, the travel time through GWS should not be a decision maker. There are several ways to get from the valley to Estes, what are you looking for speed, adventure, views?

If you want adventure, go Aspen/SV over Independence pass and then to I-70 to 40 and across Trail Ridge. All day affair but lots of gobsmacking experiences.

If you want speed with some good peeps, I would go Indy Pass, to Breck, to Peak to Peak

If you want to stay in Cdale, then I would go through Glenwood and then to either of the above.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop in Aspen area on our way to Estes

Thanks for your help! We are saving Trail Ridge for another day. We really just want to get there as fast as possible. Of the last two suggestions, would you happen to know about how long they would take? I will also try looking at google maps.

3. Re: Stop in Aspen area on our way to Estes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2018, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Aspen