We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Maroon Pass to Crested Butte hike next Wednesday

Denver
Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
West Maroon Pass to Crested Butte hike next Wednesday

Has anyone done this hike recently? I understand the road at Shofield Pass is closed so we need to hike an additional 2 miles to where our pick up can drive to meet us. Is this correct? Also, I booked lodging in Carbondale the night before because Aspen availability was limited and too expensive. Does anyone know if there is lodging closer than Carbondale that I might explore? Thx so much.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: West Maroon Pass to Crested Butte hike next Wednesday

Try Tyrollean Lodge in Aspen for the town's inexpensive alternative. Here's the latest info that I can find:

https:/…

I don't know what time cousins started but their taking 9 hours I'm sure it was early. Get to your pickup before dark but take headlamps just in case. Also extra bars and adequate water. Your pickup will be able to drive right up to the barrier on Gothic road. Enjoy.

Report back on your trip so other first timers will have a sense of what the trip was like for you. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
USA
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Maroon Pass to Crested Butte hike next Wednesday

Paradise Divide is open, but Gothic only until 2 miles before, as you suggest.

Edited: 28 July 2017, 02:34
Denver
Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Maroon Pass to Crested Butte hike next Wednesday

Thanks!

Denver
Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Maroon Pass to Crested Butte hike next Wednesday

Thanks!

5. Re: West Maroon Pass to Crested Butte hike next Wednesday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2018, 05:17