We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do locals eat? Cheaper food usually?

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Where do locals eat? Cheaper food usually?

I've done my share of traveling and know places the locals eat at are way cheaper. Any ideas where cheaper places are to eat? Will be there for 3 days, don't want to spend much on food, however will treat ourselves to nicer meals in evening, have those on the list already. Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,890 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Where do locals eat? Cheaper food usually?

Avalon is just a very tiny town with a small number of restaurants. I don't think there is a distinction between where locals eat and where tourists eat.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,880 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Where do locals eat? Cheaper food usually?

Lots of cafe's, bars, waffle shops, hamburger joints around town. We like a Buffalo Burger from Eric's on the Green Pier. It's just a shack, with a few bar stools, but good for a quick bite.

Crestline
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Where do locals eat? Cheaper food usually?

The smallest Vons (closest to where the boats land) has a deli. They make good breakfast sandwiches, and all other deli things. They also bundle things into meals. We get most of our food from Vons when we stay in Catalina. The Buffalo Nickel isn't too expensive and always good food. Hope this helps.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
223 reviews
4. Re: Where do locals eat? Cheaper food usually?

The Sandtrap (across the street from the golf course) has $1 tacos from 2-7.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Where do locals eat? Cheaper food usually?

One hint about shopping VONS in Avalon, they will honor the mainland prices in the ads, but everything that is not listed in the weekly ad is more expensive in Avalon, due to the costs of shipping goods. So pick up the ad, and look at the Deli section deals. Make sure you sign up for the Club Card, unless you already have a VONS/Safeway Club Card. (Same Company, so just enter your phone number)

Crestline
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Where do locals eat? Cheaper food usually?

Thank you! We will be eating tacos when we are there! I had never heard of that place. Thanks for your help.

Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Where do locals eat? Cheaper food usually?

If you love tacos, walk up toward the Wrigley Memorial and on your right you will see the Sand Trap across from the golf course. We go every time we're here. Happy Hour specials, and $2 tacos, start at 2 pm. Great food and good prices.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,467 posts
262 reviews
8. Re: Where do locals eat? Cheaper food usually?

This post has resurfaced from last December.

Most locals don't eat out, we eat at home. Shockingly, some of us still cook, too.

Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
65 reviews
9. Re: Where do locals eat? Cheaper food usually?

Oops, to amend my earlier answer: $1 tacos a the Sand Trap. Also try Pete's on Sumner Avenue. We're going down tonight for half priced beer, margaritas and $1 tacos, too.

Reply to: Where do locals eat? Cheaper food usually?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avalon