We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quality diver friendly hotels in Avalon?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Quality diver friendly hotels in Avalon?

Hi, my wife and I are returning to Avalon to go diving and it’s our 8th trip back to the island. We love it! We usually stay at Atwater or Seaport Village, however, we have had a few scares with our gear being unprotected by the staff at both places and was either mistakenly handed to other guests or disappeared altogether. If anyone can recommend a nice place(s) that takes dive gear and divers seriously and doesn’t mess around we would greatly appreciate it! We are visiting at the end of October. Thank you!!

3 replies to this topic
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,160 posts
262 reviews
1. Re: Quality diver friendly hotels in Avalon?

We stayed here, it advertises as a diver hotel with lockers/dive carts:

https://hermosahotel.com/

I liked the small cottages, they have basic kitchen supplies, so you can do a breakfast or lunch if you like. Friendly staff, I'd call them to discuss your concerns and needs, see how they can help you.

FYI, we weren't there for a diving trip.

Edited: 14 August 2018, 18:49
United States
Level Contributor
445 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Quality diver friendly hotels in Avalon?

AVOID the Hermosa!! We stayed there with a large group of very experienced divers....25+ people and 10+ rooms all reserved well in advance of our trip. Dive gear is stored in an area just behind an unlocked gate that opens to the sidewalk/street. Anyone could access it...not secure/locked at all. We ended up keeping all gear up in our rooms.(Which are beyond tiny with no AC) Lugging gear up all the stairs 2-3 flights multiple times a day was horrible. Also...they had no carts to lug gear to anywhere even though they advertised they do. We utilized taxi's to move our gear to the "park" and back.

The rooms themselves were blazing hot. No AC in most. (We are from Phx too) They were beyond tiny and in much need of repair too. (Curtain rods falling down, missing shower drain covers, broken tiles)

Our group was miserable there and certainly won't recommend or return.

Our suggestion is pay for a much better place....Good Luck!!

Edited: 07 September 2018, 23:40
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,776 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Quality diver friendly hotels in Avalon?

We always stay at the Pavilion Hotel in Avalon, located across from the beach. They have a lush grass patio that is an oasis from the hustle and bustle out on the sidewalk. We like the breakfast and complementary wine and cheese at night around the fire pit. Yes they have a locked storage locker on property. They also have luggage pick up from the boats.

Reply to: Quality diver friendly hotels in Avalon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avalon