We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jeep eco tour "best time"?

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
66 posts
40 reviews
jeep eco tour "best time"?

What time of day would you say is best to do the 3 hour jeep eco tour? We're most interested in seeing remote beaches, amazing visuals of the interior coastline etc. Probably afternoon to make sure any kind of marine layer has burnt away? Also how far in advance should we reserve our (4) spots? We're staying the first week of August , I know things will get nuts lol. Thanks in advance!

13 replies to this topic
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,824 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: jeep eco tour "best time"?

If you know the exact date, I would book it now. Not sure if morning or afternoon is better, though. It might be pretty hot in the interior in the afternoon.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
66 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: jeep eco tour "best time"?

Went ahead and booked this morning, thanks for the advice!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
267 reviews
3. Re: jeep eco tour "best time"?

I'm interested in doing this tour as well - bookmarking so I remember to reserve it in advance. Hope you have a great trip!

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
66 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: jeep eco tour "best time"?

volcanogirl we're actually from Texas too (DFW) We took a vacation to SoCal in 2014 (including Catalina) and had such an amazing time we moved here in 2015 lol. My father and stepmother are joining us for the trip this year, I can't wait to see them experience Catalina for the first time. There is certainly nothing like Catalina in Texas that's for sure lol. Hope that you have a great trip!!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,824 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: jeep eco tour "best time"?

David,

June gloom usually ends in July so you should not have any issues with the marine layer in August. But either time (morning or afternoon) should be fine. There are many days when the coast is completely socked in and Catalina is clear and beautiful! I've never taken this particular tour but have seen the interior of the island many times.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,451 posts
262 reviews
6. Re: jeep eco tour "best time"?

We went around 10:00 am. That's a good time; if there is a marine layer, it'll be burning off around then. As other tours have been out prior, they either located bison and island fox, sharing that with our driver, so we were able to locate both. The first tour out has no such help, so consider that when booking, too.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
267 reviews
7. Re: jeep eco tour "best time"?

Thanks, David! We did a trip to La Jolla and loved it, so now we're giving Catalina a try. We can't wait!

Plumeria, that's great advice, thank you! We utilized that strategy for whale watching, and it was nice to have information provided by the earlier tours to help with out spotting. I would love to see a fox, have never seen one.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
267 reviews
8. Re: jeep eco tour "best time"?

I see that there are several companies listed that offer similar Jeep tours. Are there any differences? Any reason to take one over another? They all seem to get great reviews.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
223 reviews
9. Re: jeep eco tour "best time"?

volcanogirl,

I like the Catalina Island Conservancy backcountry tours. They're great, and your money goes back into conservation efforts on the island, rather than to a commercial enterprise. I've heard that the conservancy tours have access to roads that other tours don't, though I don't know for certain on that.

But, I'm sure you'd enjoy any of the tours.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
267 reviews
10. Re: jeep eco tour "best time"?

avalon, that's fantastic. Good to know; I didn't realize that. Looks like they get wonderful reviews too. I like the idea of giving something back.

Reply to: jeep eco tour "best time"?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avalon