We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
66 posts
40 reviews
Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?

In 2016 we had the vacation of a lifetime staying 5 nights in 10-79 right on the bluffs edge at Hamilton cove. We enjoyed listening to the sounds of waves lapping just below us, it literally felt as if you were on a ship in the middle of the ocean. That said unfortunately the rental company we used in 2016 has changed ownership and recent reviews have been less than complimentary so this year we're renting a villa in Building 18 directly from an owner and we're very much looking forward to our 2nd visit to Hamilton Cove.

All this said I recently read that they are constructing the final phase of Hamilton Cove. Two homes are finished, two under construction with two more starting construction in September. I'm just wondering if anyone can speak to how much construction noise we can expect to hear during our stay? Unfortunately it appears that the new home locations directly surround the building we're staying in. (18) Will our days be filled subtle and tranquil ocean sounds or will we be in the midst of an active construction zone with heavy equipment beeping (when in reverse), nail guns and air compressors? Are there any residents that can speak first had to the noise levels?

Thanks everyone, can't wait to be back on island-time! :D

11 replies to this topic
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,826 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?

I found this on the internet: http://www.catalinarealtors.com/18314preview_Hamilton+Cove+Custom+Homes_Avalon_CA.html

I was not aware that they were building out the final phases. Those pads have been there forever. And yes, it will be directly behind building 18. You can scroll through the pictures on the link I posted. Sorry, that did not answer your question.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,826 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?

FYI... I've rented from Catalina Island Vacation Rentals many times and have never had an issue with them (they now manage 10-79). A friend of mine stayed in 10-79 last summer with her family and had zero complaints.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
66 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?

Thank you very much! We are renting from http://www.catalinaholiday.com this year, they own 3 villas and they appear to be better furnished and have nicer amenities than any of CIVR’s properties and he’s actually a little cheaper. We loved our stay in 10-79, I hope that the views in our villa from building 18 stand up to what we saw in building 10. Thanks again for the feedback!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,826 posts
59 reviews
4. Re: Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?

Building 18 has beautiful views but you will not get that same sense of being ON the ocean like you do in Buildings 10 or 11. We stayed in Building 18 in 1998 in a 3 bedroom. Our personal favorite building is Building 11 though we have stayed in Building 10 a few times.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
66 posts
40 reviews
5. Re: Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?

That’s too bad I was looking forward to that “on the water” experience. I almost booked 10-79 again but decided to change it up this year. (10-79’s golf cart might be the oldest and slowest in Hamilton cove lol) While I will certainly miss feeling like we are on a yacht I’m sure building 18 will have its own charm. Thank you again for your feedback!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,826 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?

Have you looked at any of the units in Building 11? That's our favorite location. We stayed in Building 18 once and the views were very nice but it was just not close enough to the water. We needed a 3 bedroom which turned out to be a mistake since most of the golf carts only seat 4 people.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
66 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?

The only reason we didn't book one of the units in Building 11 (or 10) was that we felt the owners (or property management company) went cheaper on accommodations and amenities in their units. (wicker furniture, plastic chairs, etc) The Villas at http://www.catalinaholiday.com seem more like someone's actual luxury home rather than an investment rental space. Building 10-11 have mostly great units but if you look closely you can see where corners are cut. We just wanted to get the most bang for our buck I guess. We're already locked in for this year, I still think we will have a great stay. Our rental unit is about mid way up building 18 and we're on the cliff side with a wrap around balcony, life could be worse I guess lol.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,826 posts
59 reviews
8. Re: Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?

The owners of 11-54 have added a lot more since we stayed there. We really like 11-53 and have stayed there often. I'll check out the link you posted! But I totally get what you mean. We rented a place in Building 1 that was in horrible shape!

Edited: 13 April 2018, 21:36
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
266 reviews
9. Re: Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?

I'm bookmarking for good information. Hoping to take a trip in September.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?

They cannot (re-)start construction until after the tourist season ends at the end of August.

Reply to: Hamilton Cove Construction Noise?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avalon