We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best things to do in Avalon for a daytrip?

3 posts
Save Topic
Best things to do in Avalon for a daytrip?

Hello,

I'm planning a daytrip for my family to Catalina. We'll be two 60 year olds, a few 30s, one baby.

Assuming we take a ferry and arrive in Avalon, and plan to just travel on foot all day, what are the best things to do or see? Preferably free or low cost.

We like:

- Browsing beachside town shops. Getting a coffee and relaxing with a nice view. Is there enough here for a few hours?

- Any coastal sights that we wouldn't get to see on the mainland such as special Catalina wildlife

I know this is super vague but I'm trying to see if there's enough to do in Avalon on a daytrip to justify the $70 ferry per person. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
The Avalon Hotel
The Avalon Hotel
703 Reviews
Catalina Island, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best things to do in Avalon for a daytrip?

I would start with renting a golf cart, maybe for 2 hours, and do the long loop, enjoy the views, but don't stop for too long at one place, instead go back after turning in the olf cart.

I would take a tour to get out of Avalon and into the open areas of Catalina Island.

visitcatalinaisland.com/activities-adventure…

Mentioned in this post
The Avalon Hotel
The Avalon Hotel
703 Reviews
Catalina Island, CA
2. Re: Best things to do in Avalon for a daytrip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2016, 04:55
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
859 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best things to do in Avalon for a daytrip?

For... "Browsing beachside town shops. Getting a coffee and relaxing with a nice view." ... Catalina is perfect for you!

For... "Any coastal sights that we wouldn't get to see on the mainland such as special Catalina wildlife"... It's free to hang out on the pier or ferry landing and look for seals. It's 25 cents to buy some fish food at the ferry landing to feed the bright orange garibaldi fish.

And it's worth the splurge to take a jeep tour with Catalina Island Conservancy to see buffalo and other wildlife in the backcountry.

Edited: 18 December 2016, 17:05
Mentioned in this post
Catalina Island Conservancy
Catalina Island...
148 Reviews
Catalina Island, CA
4. Re: Best things to do in Avalon for a daytrip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2018, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about Avalon