We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat

I am looking for rough itinerary suggestions for this coming week.What order should we do things? We arrive in Jackson Sunday night. We want to spend several hours exploring Jackson, see the Lamar Valley because we heard it is good for spotting wildlife, ditto the fishing bridge, see the thermal features including if possible the Mammoth Hot Springs, see something of Grand Teton National Park, see the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and falls, and eat dinner at an iconic lodge (suggestions please, OF(?)). We're okay with walks but not serious hikers. Our hotels are as follows:

1. Arrive Jackson Sunday night. Stay at a hotel there.

2. Monday night we have a hotel room in Grant Village.

3. Tuesday through Thursday nights we have a room at the Canyon Lodge

4. On Friday night we have a room in Jackson. Our flight out is very early in the morning on Saturday. How early do we need to arrive at the airport for a 7 AM flight?

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,480 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Mammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs
1,734 Reviews
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
Grand Canyon of the...
4,323 Reviews
Grant Village Lodge
Grant Village Lodge
1,050 Reviews
10 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,807 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat

Here is one suggestion of many ways to split up your time:

Day 2 - I would spend most of this day in Grand Tetons. Here is a map with approximate drive times for within Yellowstone, figure 45 minutes to an hour to the South gate from Grand Tetons. You'll want to get to Grant before dark.

https:/…Park-Map-with-mileage.pdf

Day 3 - I'd come up the west side of the Lower Loop today making it a thermal day. I'd do OF area (walk the geyser basin) and some of the smaller basins and scenic side drives between OF and Madison Junction, then head over to Canyon for the night.

Day 4 - I'd do your Canyon North and South rim overlooks first thing for Canyon and waterfall views. Do Hayden for wildlife, Mud Volcano, Fishing Bridge and add in Lake Village if you like historic hotels

Day 5 - I'd head north over Dunraven Pass to Tower Fall, then continue north to Tower Junction. Take a right and go out in to Lamar Valley for wildlife. Go to Pebble Creek then retrace your route to Tower Junction. This time turn right again and head for Mammoth. Walk the Lower Terraces, see the VC. Then south (road construction) toward Norris and back to Canyon.

Day 6 - I'd head south early. Pick up West Thumb Geyser Basin on your way past, then out the South entrance to continue your visit to Grand Tetons/Jackson.

Day 7 - Someone else will undoubtedly be along to answer your airport question since I drive over to the park and don't have experience with this!

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Dunraven Lodge
Dunraven Lodge
162 Reviews
Tower Fall
Tower Fall
281 Reviews
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,480 Reviews
Norris Campground
Norris Campground
67 Reviews
West Thumb Geyser Basin
West Thumb Geyser Basin
720 Reviews
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat

Two hours prior to flight at JAC...(Jackson Hole Airport)

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat

Pam & Eric, thank-you very much. This is what I needed to get started.

Is there any specific stop that you would make in GTNP?

Darn, we have an 8 AM flight from JAC and I was hoping that you’d tell me that the airport is so small that you don’t need to be there two hours ahead of the flight.

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat

The airport is very small. Which is the main reason you need to arrive there 2 hours early -

"Give Yourself Time

Please arrive at the Jackson Hole Airport in plenty of time to check in and get through screening. Most airlines recommend 2 hours prior to scheduled departure. At the Jackson Hole Airport, the person checking you in is the same person loading your bags and boarding you. If you arrive 20 minutes prior to your scheduled departure there is a good chance no one will be available to check you in because they are loading bags. Just because there is no line doesn’t mean you will be helped."

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,807 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat

Sorry, Grand Tetons are not my area of expertise! Take a look at some of the Trip Reports on the upper right side. If you are on a phone or other mobile platform you won't see the Top Questions category unless you scroll down to the bottom of this page and click *full site* option. If you are on a laptop or an iPad you will see Top Questions. Check out the 2018 links to Trip Reports of how people spent their time!

I am so risk averse I generally get to the airport 2 hours ahead even if it's a small airport. Do know that there are probably several flights leaving early AM so people can get to a hub for onward flights. With my local airport I know my timing but I wouldn't do that someplace that is new to me.

Pam

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat

One reason not to push the envelope - it's a small airport with very limited flights.

If you miss your flight, I'm not sure when you'd be able to fly out on the next one. There are very few "next ones" to choose from and they will probably all be full.

If you HAVE to get back home for work, school, etc. you may have to drive elsewhere and book new flights home.

Just not worth the risk to me.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat

Thanks again.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat

I'll offer suggestions in my area of expertise - food - lol!

If you wanted to have dinner at OFI, I would do it on the night you're staying at Grant so that you can get back to your lodging before dark. Another option would be to have lunch there on the day you're touring the thermal areas. You'd still experience the ambiance of the lodge, but not have to worry about getting held up on the drive back to Grant.

Another choice would be Lake Hotel (my favorite) on one of your Canyon nights. Make an early reservation, so you can enjoy the lobby and the music either before or after dinner and still be back to Canyon by dark.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat

"Another choice would be Lake Hotel (my favorite) on one of your Canyon nights. Make an early reservation, so you can enjoy the lobby and the music either before or after dinner "

That is the main reason I want to get a room at Lake. It sounds absolutely wonderful!

One day. I had one but then had to change dates. Never was able to book anything at Lake again and I called almost daily for months.

Edited: 07 July 2018, 21:26
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat

Excellent suggestions, thank-you.

Reply to: Rough Itinerary Suggestions - YNP & Jackson Sun - Sat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted