We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Spray Beyond the Parks

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
Bear Spray Beyond the Parks

I'm trying to determine if we should consider bear spray beyond our time in Yellowstone and Grand Teton. We are planning on visiting Little Bighorn, Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, and Cody (I know...not all WY spots).

We are staying in a cabin in Cody that is west of the more populated tourist areas. It's just one night, but out of all the places I noted, it's the one where I feel like we might want it handy.

If you think we're good with just having it in the parks, I can get it at Canyon in YNP. Otherwise, I can buy it in Billings, MT after we land or the Cody Walmart. Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
2,233 Reviews
Grand Teton National Park, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Billings
Billings
Montana
The Cody Hotel
The Cody Hotel
1,093 Reviews
Cody, WY
4 replies to this topic
Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Spray Beyond the Parks

I don't think you will need bear spray at Little Bighorn, Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, or Badlands. I would have it handy in Cody though. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Not sure where you can buy it, but I'm sure someone will come along who knows. From what I understand, it is available at places like Walmart, but don't quote me on that.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7,711 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Spray Beyond the Parks

Not wrong at all about bears around Cody. No bear spray necessary at Little Bighorn...just snake repellent. Lots of rattlers on the walk going up to the memorial. See link about local bears around Cody.

sandiegouniontribune.com/…

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Baltimore...
Level Contributor
231 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear Spray Beyond the Parks

If it not convenient to obtain and return at Canyon for the rental rates, it is cheaper to buy it at the Walmart in Billings than in the park. I had trouble finding it when we went and they took my to the gun section, but then since I had other items they recommended that I just go the regular cashiers and request it (it is locked up in the gun section and in the front, at least it was when we were there last August).

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,440 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear Spray Beyond the Parks

If you're getting out into the country between Cody and the east gate of YNP, bear spray is a good idea. The parks are barely 10% of the bear-inhabited area, so there's a very large area where taking bear spray is recommended. The problem grizzlies that are caught in the Jackson Hole area are often moved to the North Fork of the Shoshone, so that area is plum full of bears, some with nasty habits. That's the reason why the elementary schools in Wapiti (on the North Fork) and Valley (on the South Fork) have a very high fence around their playgrounds: to keep the children safe from grizzlies.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Wapiti
Wapiti
Cody, WY
Reply to: Bear Spray Beyond the Parks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted