We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short pack trip

Gulf Breeze
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
short pack trip

Hi, My husband and I will be taking our first trip to Yellowstone in July. We are staying at the west entrance a few days and also the Grand Tetons. We have a 5th wheel camper but I would like to take an overnight pack trip to experience beautiful scenery and sleeping under the stars in a more remote area than a campground. We are both very active and work out regularly. We would enjoy activities like hiking, rafting, horseback riding and fishing but do have a limited budget. Most of the trips I have seen online are for several days and very expensive. I would prefer 1-2 nights. I thought of DIY trip but my husband is less adventurous (bears) and we do not have camping supplies for overnight. Do you have shorter trips or can you recommend a good trip with reasonable prices. In addition, can you please recommend a raft/float trip combined or separate from the overnight pack trip. Thank you for your help. Dawn

10 replies to this topic
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: short pack trip

So if I have this right, you're looking for a 1-2 night pack trip in or near Yellowstone.

My impression is that those offered inside the park are more expensive than those outside, and since you're on a budget, I'd suggest looking outside the park. Expect to pay around $300 per day (not per night) per person. I can make suggestions, but maybe should first decide if that's in your budget.

Also, are you used to horseback riding? You generally will ride for several hours to reach a camp, and of course ride several hours on your last day. If you're not used to riding, that can be pretty hard, even if you're in good shape.

Edited: 02 June 2018, 15:18
Gulf Breeze
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: short pack trip

Hi

Thank you for your quick reply. Correct, 1 or 2 nights. We just purchased a 5th wheel RV and are driving from Florida. That purchase has limited what I would like to spend on an excursion.

I haven't ridden in years but grew up with horses. My husband and I both workout with weights and include several core strengthening exercises. I have seen a trip online with rafting and staying overnight as well as riding. Most of the trips are several nights and over my budget. I hope to stay under $400 for a night or two. Is that possible? I have seen a few sites online that list a phone number to call for customized trips.Would you suggest that I call or are there no short trip options?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: short pack trip

The lowest price I know of is $275 per DAY per person. For a one-night trip, that would be $550 per person.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,110 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: short pack trip

"I haven't ridden in years but grew up with horses."

TetonBill is right. You are going to use muscles you've not used in years and/or didn't know you had. I used to ride when I was younger, but learned that a 4 hours ride is really too much for me. 4 hours in and 4 hours out is a lot of riding - and a lot of sore muscles. Family members have done week long fishing trips riding out of a base camp, but they ride fairly often. I'm good for an hour or two. I honestly don't enjoy 4+ hours. I ride in the wagon now. Good luck! If you can find someone who will customize what you want, be sure to post that here. There are some "glamping" camping options including covered wagons in Gardiner but those are pricey. There are tent-cabins at Colter Bay. One thought is to combine one of those options with riding - but not riding to those locations. Not sure if you'd be interested since you are camping out of a 5th wheel. Just trying to think of possibilities.

Dubois, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Lander, Dubois, Riverton
Level Contributor
485 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: short pack trip

I live in Dubois about an hour from Jackson. The going price for a horse pack trip in this area is $350 per night per person for a party of at least 8. And most outfitters expect about a 4-day minimum. It isn’t cost effective for them to haul out all the supplies for less than that.

The concern about bears is sensible. But you can get into true wilderness around here with any number of long day hikes. In mid summer the days at this latitude are very long. You might check out relocating your trailer to an area still in the Greater Yellowstone area but outside the Park boundaries and contact the US Forest Service about very lengthy day hikes in the Shoshone or Bridger Teton forests. Pack your food in and out, carry bear spray, make lots of noise, and sleep that night in your trailer.

For instance look up the Pinnacles Campground near Brooks Lake and the hike to Jade Lake or Bonneville Pass and beyond. Or the Continental Divide trail. Many other ways to explore true wilderness in that area.

Gulf Breeze
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: short pack trip

That sounds like a plan. Thank you!!!

Gulf Breeze
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: short pack trip

Ok Thank you for your help. :-)

Gulf Breeze
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: short pack trip

Thank you. 4 hours each way does sound like a little much.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: short pack trip

4 hours isn't long if you're trying to ride into wilderness. We often do 7 hours of saddle time a day. But if you're not used to riding, even though athletic, 4 hours on a horse could seem like an eternity.

Probably the best you can do is find an outfitter that has an established base camp no more than 5 miles or so from the trailhead. These base camp are often pretty plush, with walled tents, a kitchen tent, privy, and some even have a shower. 5 miles would be about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour ride. He'll not likely need to carry in supplies; just one horse or mule for your overnight stuff. Some of these outfitters specialize in real short stays for tourists who want some backcountry experience but not a long trip. If you try it and enjoy the experience, you can always come back and do a longer trip, maybe getting some more riding experience at home in the meantime. Whatever you end up doing, hope you have a good trip.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: short pack trip

Here's a possible outfitter, located close to the east gate of Yellowstone, with a base camp pretty close to the trailhead (3-4 hours of riding). And I will say that Alden is a terrific camp cook. She and her husband recently started their outfitting business and might be flexible on duration of the stay. You'd need to call or email them to ask.

https://elkforkoutfitters.net/pack-trips

Reply to: short pack trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted