We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Crosse or Wisconsin Dells?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
135 posts
La Crosse or Wisconsin Dells?

We're in Madison and passing through both LaCrosse and Wisconsin Dells. Would like to find a neat place to eat and enjoy some entertainment - live music, maybe dancing?

Looking for the 35 and up group. We hardly ever get a chance to do this and would really like the opportunity if you can toss out some suggestions! Thank you..........

WI
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
1. Re: La Crosse or Wisconsin Dells?

They are two very different areas you listed. There's plenty around in Wisconsin Dells as it's a big tourist destination so maybe avoid this area and check out LaCrosse. I haven't had an opportunity to check it out yet but would love to. It's a beautiful area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaCrosse,_WI

Wisconsin Dells is full of restaurants and entertainment, waterparks and amusement areas as well as scenery:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_Dells,_WI

I would tend to think of LaCrosse as more nightlife oriented. There's a college there and it's bigger and on the water. Wisconsin Dells does certainly have a lot to offer in terms of places to go but it is a very family oriented tourist destination. That being said we love the area and being in the Dells and there's plenty of nice places to eat in the area, too.

Edited: 31 July 2011, 02:27
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: La Crosse or Wisconsin Dells?

In the Dells, Marley's has built a new facility and has a very large dedicated nightclub area. There are different activities going on all week, such as bikini contests, etc. I have stopped in for a drink to check out the restaurant during the day, and can see where it would be a popular place to go - and I hear it does get very crowded on weekends. There is also a new nightclub from the owners of Mt. Olympus. It is located in the old Marley's building and is called Wett. Haven't been there but the bartender we were talking to at Marley's said it looks quite different in that building now. It's only been open for a very short time. Kahunaville at the Wilderness is supposed to be a good place to go, but I imagine it isn't cheap since it is part of the resort. If you go downtown, there are lots of bars, but not so sure about the dancing.

LaCrosse might be kind of quite now until the 3rd week of August when the students come back. It might be a time when the locals take advantage of the nightclubs and bars.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
725 posts
127 reviews
3. Re: La Crosse or Wisconsin Dells?

If you go to the Dells, take a Duck or boat tour if you're not interested in the night life. The Dells is crowded in the amusement and water parks.

4. Re: La Crosse or Wisconsin Dells?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 18:17