We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are hotel reservations necessary in WV in the fall?

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Are hotel reservations necessary in WV in the fall?

I plan on doing a two week visit of the entire state and wondered whether I should book rooms ( two to three nites per region) or play it by ear and find something upon arrival in each orf the areas we visit.. Any thoughts, opinions, etc would be appreciated.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,970 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are hotel reservations necessary in WV in the fall?

Well.....I would say, yes...to be safe.Especially during a weekend. Lots of activities going on in our state in the fall. If you are anywhere near our two big college towns, Huntington or Morgantown during a weekend, there might be a home game going on which means no vacancies at the local hotels there. Lots of Fall Festivals too...everywhere. One big one is Bridge Day in Fayetteville. Its always the 3rd Saturday in October. (I highly recommend trying to be there for that...LOTS of fun!) So...during the week you would probably be ok, but as for the weekends....yes, book in advance.By the way, our fall foliage usually peaks anywhere from mid to late October.

Mentioned in this post
Huntington
Huntington
West Virginia
Morgantown
Morgantown
West Virginia
Fayetteville
Fayetteville
West Virginia
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are hotel reservations necessary in WV in the fall?

Thanks so much for the wonderful information! I'll try to catch the Fayetteville festival.

Mentioned in this post
Fayetteville
Fayetteville
West Virginia
Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are hotel reservations necessary in WV in the fall?

Fall, the most beautiful time of year in WV. I hope you attempt to stay in one of the state parks as you travel through WV - Pipestem, Glade Springs, Logan... you will find that are hills are alive during this time with color.

Mentioned in this post
Pipestem
Pipestem
West Virginia
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are hotel reservations necessary in WV in the fall?

We are state park fans and will take your advice to try to stay and play in some of them! I'm looking forward to it!

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
4 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are hotel reservations necessary in WV in the fall?

If you don't have small kids, I HIGHLY recommend a stay at the Wildernest Inn. This is the most amazing place I have ever been. Breakfast is included, dinner (which is always wonderful) is extra, but worth it! Check out their website. http://www.wildernestinn.com/ My husband and I have stayed there 3 times and always enjoyed ourselves. The inn sits at the top of the mountain, overlooking a beautiful valley. Sunsets are amazing. Can't say enough about this place. Just love it!!!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are hotel reservations necessary in WV in the fall?

Thank you for the info. I appreciate the link too! I will certainly check it out.

Waynesville,NC
Level Contributor
364 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are hotel reservations necessary in WV in the fall?

YES! Try Holly River State Park-the scenery is amazing!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are hotel reservations necessary in WV in the fall?

I really appreciate the suggestions and input! I love state parks so I will try to scope out Holly River! Thanks.

On The Road
Level Contributor
2 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are hotel reservations necessary in WV in the fall?

So glad to hear you are planning a fall trip to the Mountain State!

There are a few routes I would highly suggest -

If you are coming in to West Virginia from the southeast, I suggest you enter on I-64 and stop in the small town of Lewisburg. It is one of the 'coolest' small towns in American according to a top travel review. Lewisburg has a great number of small galleries, restaurants, and curiosity shops. It is such a charming little town - and over the last few years that have really spruced up the shopping district. Certainly a place to see.

If you have the budget, a night at the Greenbrier in nearby White Sulphur Springs would certainly be a great way to see the luxury and hospitality the state has to offer!

From Lewisburg, I suggest driving north on Route 219. It will wind though some of the most beautiful mountain terrain in the state, and if you are a literary buff - it will take you through the small town of Hillsboro - birthplace of one of West Virginia's Nobel Prize winners, Pearl S. Buck. You can tour the Stulting House, her homeplace.She was quite ahead of her time, very beautiful and interesting character!

From Hillsboro you can continue to travel north to the Snowshoe area, there is a beautiful and economical Bed and Breakfast located in the area, and that is the Morning Glory Inn - it is located in Slatyfork.

From there you can explore a lot the area has to offer, including Cass Scenic Railroad. Cass is home to one of the finest working collection of steam locomotives in the county - so hop aboad and take a morning or afternoon excursion to Whittaker Station - or a 4.5 hour excursion to Bald Knob. Cass is an old logging town, and the railroad, now under the state park system, is a fantastic way to see the sights as they would have been around the turn of the century.

There are SO many things to do, and so many things to see in the Mountain State - we West Virginians are very proud of our state, and always glad to help folks discover what the rest of the world is missing. The natural beauty of the state is awe inspiring. A Sunrise or Sunset trip to Spruce Knob is definitely in order - Spruce Knob is the highest point in the state, and from the observation deck you are a 360 degree view of the entire skyline - it it truly breath taking to either watch the sun rise or set. OR if you are traveling in August when there are usually very visible meteor showers, you should go at sunset and stay for one of nature's most spectacular displays! Truly a wonder!

A few other things that you shouldn't miss in and around the state are:

The State Capitol Complex - WV is home to one of our nation's most beautiful Capitol Buildings, designed and built by world renowned architect Cass Gilbert. Gilbert also built the US Supreme Court building in Washington, DC - and in fact, the US Supreme Court Chambers are modeled after ours, here in West Virginia! If you peer inside, you will quickly see the resemblance!

The WV State Museum is also not to be missed - in 2004 the museum's displays were closed for renovation, and finally in 2010, after a much protracted renovation, the museum reopened - and I must admit that it is one of the finest interpretive museums I have every visited - from one scene to another it tells the history of West Virginia from the formation of the land that is West Virginia, to the Civil War, Industrial revolution- and forward. The museum is fantastic!

You should also tour the Executive Mansion which also sits on the Capitol Grounds - it is a Georgian style mansion which has been beautiful restored.

I have traveled nearly every corner of this state, regardless of how varied your interests are, I would love to help custom tailor an itinerary to fit your needs!

Don't hesitate to drop me a message!

Mentioned in this post
West Virginia
West Virginia
United States
Lewisburg
Lewisburg
West Virginia
The Greenbrier
The Greenbrier
2,805 Reviews
White Sulphur Springs, WV
Snowshoe
Snowshoe
West Virginia
Morning Glory Inn
Morning Glory Inn
391 Reviews
Slatyfork, WV
Cass
Cass
West Virginia
Spruce Knob
Spruce Knob
107 Reviews
Riverton, WV
Gilbert
Gilbert
West Virginia
Supreme Court
Supreme Court
1,264 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
West Virginia State Museum
West Virginia State...
345 Reviews
Charleston, WV
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are hotel reservations necessary in WV in the fall?

love all this info. Thanks so very much. We are photography hobbyists so these places fit perfectly.