We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to plan a snow vacation

Save Topic
Trying to plan a snow vacation

Hi I currently live in central FL and I'm trying to plan a snow vacation in a southeastern state (TN, WV, NC, etc). The problem is I don't know which would be best, therefore I don't know where to watch for snow! LOL I need at least a 7 day notice. We aren't interested in ski resorts or anything like that... Just a cute little town that will get a decent snow for building a snowman, maybe sledding down a hill, and ice skating. Is there a town in WV that would be good for that? Not looking for a big city, just smaller cities & towns.

Whitewater Rafting Lower New River...
58 Reviews
from US$96.57*
Greenbrier Aerial Adventure Course
from US$129.00*
Free Cancellation
Guided Paddleboard Tour on a Local...
from US$165.00*
Free Cancellation
2 replies to this topic
Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,202 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to plan a snow vacation

Davis, WV might just be your little town. Not far from Canaan Valley Resort, which has skiing, Blackwater Falls State Park boasts the longest sled run east. The town of Davis is a quaint little town with eclectic shops and restaurants...but is is very small....about 600 people. Nearby is Thomas, which has a population of about 600 people and some shops as well. At the park you could also hike down to see the falls, which are mostly frozen this week. Here is an article that appeared when the run opened.

herald-dispatch.com/news/recent_news/blackwa…

The Purple Fiddle in Thomas and Sirianni's Cafe in Davis both have good food.

I believe Blackwater Falls has really good non-weekend rates in January. You could also stay at the park in Canaan and I don't think it would feel crowded...several lodges, but I haven't been there in winter for a while. Canaan has a tubing and an indoor pool.

I am sure you will get some advice from the snowbunnies as well!

Mentioned in this post
Davis
Davis
West Virginia
Canaan Valley Resort
Canaan Valley Resort
850 Reviews
Davis, WV
Blackwater Falls State Park
Blackwater Falls State...
764 Reviews
Davis, WV