We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Hotel Location near Metro Station

Waycross, GA
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Safe Hotel Location near Metro Station

My adult family will be vacationing in DC and need a good hotel recommendation for June 11-13th. We will be arriving by car and traveling into the city by Metro. I do not require a 5-star hotel, but I do not want to stay in a roach motel either -- something in the $100-130 range in a SAFE neighborhood. Can anyone suggest a good area and hotel close to the Metro? Thanks

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,381 Reviews
from US$13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from US$150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from US$18.20*
US$24.26
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,170 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Hotel Location near Metro Station

Go to www.quikbook.com and enter your dates. When I did this, the following hotels came up that were in your price range:

St. Gregory Hotel $129/night

The Churchill Hotel $129/night

State Plaza Hotel $119/night

And there was this...

"Secret Sale Upscale Georgetown" $99/night prepay/no refund"

There is no Metro stop in Georgetown. However, depending on which hotel this is, it might well be a doable walk to the Foggy Bottom Metro station.

I suggest you read the reviews here on TA of the three hotels mentioned. It will help you come to an informed decision.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,177 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Hotel Location near Metro Station

And all of those hotels will charge extra for parking unless you get a really great deal. Since you are coming for the weekend, prices should be a bit lower. But $100 is fairly low for hotels anywhere close to DC.

Cheaper Hotels in Nearby Virginia.

This is a list, not a recommendation. Read the reviews you can find before making your reservation. Most are older.

Americana

Crystal City, Arlington

http://www.americanahotel.com/

Inns of Virginia Arlington

http://www.innsofva.com/arlington.aspx

Not near a Metro station

Inn of Rosslyn

Rosslyn, Arlington

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g30242-d120599-…

Days Inn Arlington

Arlington

daysinn.com/DaysInn/…

Not near a Metro station

Best Western Rosslyn Rosslyn, Arlington

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do…

Econo Lodge Metro

Arlington

econolodge.com/…

Comfort Inn Ballston

Ballston, Arlington

comfortinn.com/hotel-arlington-virginia-VA417

Waycross, GA
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Hotel Location near Metro Station

Thank you very much for that information. When I last traveled to DC, we stayed on Richmond Hwy in the Alexandria, Virginia area. There was a Metro station about a mile from our hotel. Is that still a "safe" area, or would you recommend staying elsewhere?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
289 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Hotel Location near Metro Station

One of the tools I use when looking for hotels is "google earth".

If I'm checking out a hotel I look it up there and can find pictures of it and its entire neighboorhood, as well as links to reviews.

new york
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Hotel Location near Metro Station

just booked the grand hyatt for 89.00 per night. walking distance to many attractions. check to see if your dates qualify for this rate. also included was breakfast for two using my aaa card.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe Hotel Location near Metro Station

Richmond Hwy in Alexandria is also known as Route 1. It is a long road. So without knowing which hotel or block you stayed before, there is no way to know whether it is safe or not. Most of Alexandria is safe, but there are sections and motels that I would not recommend.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe Hotel Location near Metro Station

The Hampton Inn & Suite at Reagan Airport has rooms for your dates at $103 per night, plus $12 for parking. It is near the Crystal City metro stop.

texas
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe Hotel Location near Metro Station

I would recommend the Hampton EdodVa said. We stayed at the Embassy Suites in that area 4 years ago and loved it and shared the shuttle with it.It is out of our price range when we come in July, otherwise we would have stayed there. Its a great area and short ride into DC.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe Hotel Location near Metro Station

You may want to check out Residence Inn at Carlyle-Alexandria. Great, newer hotel, quiet neighborhood, couple blocks from subway station, free shuttle to it; breakfast; parking reasonable!

10. Re: Safe Hotel Location near Metro Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2010, 05:17