We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time at National Zoo

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
227 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Time at National Zoo

How long does it take (on average) to go through the National Zoo?

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,381 Reviews
from US$13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from US$150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from US$18.20*
US$24.26
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,191 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time at National Zoo

I doubt there is any good answer to that. It depends on too many factors. I will tell you that if you go in on the Connecticut Avenue entrance, which is the main entrance. It is downhill all the way to the big cats and the farm. That means it is uphill all the way back to the entrance. But how long a person spends there is entirely dependent on their interests and what the animals are doing and whether they stop to rest or get a snack. Some people spend an hour just watching the pandas. Others give them a glance and hurry down to the monkeys and great apes.

texas
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time at National Zoo

If you are taking the metro, look at previous posts. There is some way that they tell you to get off at a different exit than you would think becuase the walk to the zoo will be downhill, as compared to the zoo exit is an uphill walk to gte there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time at National Zoo

Good point: if you get off at Cleveland Park, you can walk downhill to the zoo, and then when you're done, continue downhill to the Woodley Park/Zoo station. Makes a difference on a hot day.

texas
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time at National Zoo

Thank you, tbwhall, thats what I needed . I am off to write it in my notes for this summer to DC.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
227 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time at National Zoo

I was asking about how long it takes to tour through the zoo, not how long it takes to get there. Sorry if it sounded like I was asking how long it takes to get there.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Time at National Zoo

"I was asking about how long it takes to tour through the zoo, not how long it takes to get there. Sorry if it sounded like I was asking how long it takes to get there."

Darrell answered your question I think. The zoo website states that "The National Zoo covers 163 acres and it takes several hours to see all of our animals and exhibits"

Since we don't know who you are or who will be with you, you just have to go and see for yourself. I would set aside a half day at least and if you get bored, you walk out. If you love it, stay.

Are you asking becuase you might schedule something with a timed ticket later that day?

suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time at National Zoo

I agree with previous posters that it all depends on factors only you know. If you want to see each and every animal there, you would be able to do it in several hours, but that would be a frantic pace and much of it would be a blur, not unlike a "13 European countries in 10 days" tour.

You didn't mention if you'll have kids with you. If so, my strategy for the zoo (and museums, for that matter) is to ask each child what they do not want to miss seeing. How many picks they get depends on how many people you have - just my kids, they each get 2, with a friend and her kids, each gets 1. You fill in with whatever your schedule (and the kids' energy levels) will allow. Suggest you familiarize yourself w/the zoo at their website, nationalzoo.si.edu, to help you plan ahead of time. WTTW: if you are coming in the summer, plan on being at the zoo early or late in the day. You really feel our heat and humidity walking around there, and the animals do, too - you'll see more activity when it's cooler.

Don't forget that the zoo is part of the Smithsonian, so admission is free. The cost involved is the cost of getting there. So if your schedule allows, you wouldn't be spending that much more to come back another day.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
227 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time at National Zoo

No we do not have any kids. We like zoos but I doubt we'll stare at every single animal there, lol. We have gorillas and tigers at our local zoo. We mainly want to see the pandas and such. The only zoo my husband has ever been to is our local zoo and he wants to visit the one in Washington DC. It will only be us two and we are young, 23 and 28, so we won't need to take walking breaks very often.

suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time at National Zoo

If you want to see the pandas, I'd suggest stopping there first, and if you can't see them or they're not doing much, see if there is a scheduled feeding time posted or ask when a good time to come back would be. If you have the option of coming on a coolish gray day, that is great panda weather. Do check out the website under Exhibits to see what animals are there that aren't at your zoo. And just stay as long as you want! :)

10. Re: Time at National Zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 06:17