We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC 4 day trip w/ 2 kids for Spring Break

Miami, Fl
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Washington DC 4 day trip w/ 2 kids for Spring Break

We want to see all the momunets and the Museum of Natural History & the Space/Air museum, the cherry blossoms, the capital, the white house, Georgetown, Mt. Vernon & Arlington cementary, national zoo, and maybe the ford theater (no shows) and pentagon (outside). Debating if to see the Terra Cotta warriors at the national geographic museum too. How should we see all these places? Has anyone done these with kids before in 4 days? Which places, which days? We will be driving in from Miami & plan to leave our car parked in our hotel and take the metro for most of the time.

What would be a good itinerary for us? We will be staying by the national zoo at the omni shoreham and have a metro stop 1 blk from our hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC 4 day trip w/ 2 kids for Spring Break

We are visiting for 7 days/6 nights and have similar things on our list. I made a spread sheet and researched where things were. Then I plugged in one item in each morning and one item in each afternoon. My research tells me that although you can take a greyline bus tour to Mt. Vernon from 8 - noon, that really isn't enough time for a good visit. I think we will have to cross that off our list. Some of your itinerary will be based around pre-purchased tickets. For example we didn't really get a choice from our Congressman about our capitol tour time. I know it will be busy and so I didn't want to over-schedule our week. We too are staying at the Omni and plan to use the metro all week.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC 4 day trip w/ 2 kids for Spring Break

You might have to skip the Terra Cotta Warriors. The tickets were all sold out for the exhibit until last Friday when they released more tickets for the rest of its stay here in D.C. Those tickets may have already been sold out as well so you'll need to check the website to be sure.

texas
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC 4 day trip w/ 2 kids for Spring Break

With all the free things, I would skip terra cotta warriors.We were there for 3 days, and toured Arlington,Holocaust museum, zoo,Museum of natural history. Also outside of Pentagon as we just wanted to see the magnitude of it.One night we walked and did Washington and Lincoln monuments, and white house,and the new monument(think its the WWII).We walked up the mall at night and enjoyed it. Took metro everywhere, except when we did the mall at night. It was like 1 am , so we got a taxi back to hotel.I was surprised how many people were out at 1 am. I thought daughters were crazy when they said lets go see it at night. I have to say seeing the Lincoln Memorial at night was a sight that made me cry, You see it on TV, but when you are standing there, its beautiful. Have a great vacation. I hope to return one day.

Edited: 21 March 2010, 03:49
Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
26,947 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
United States
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC 4 day trip w/ 2 kids for Spring Break

It looks like the last day for the Terra Cotta warriors is March 31, anyway, unless you get an early spring break.

Are there any other exhibits at the NG museum? the only thig I can see on the website is a photograph exhibit.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC 4 day trip w/ 2 kids for Spring Break

Probably nothing else. The Terra Cotta Warriors are in the main building and the photographic exhibit must be in the back building.

suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC 4 day trip w/ 2 kids for Spring Break

I just replied to the poster traveling w/ a 12 year old re: the memorials - those answers might help with your questions, too. Please be aware that the museums you mentioned are *very* popular, and will be extremely crowded while you are here, and plan accordingly - e.g., if you want to see the First Ladies' dresses, be there at 10 AM and make a beeline for the exhibit because a long line forms pretty quickly. For both museums I suggest being there right at opening. The monuments will give you relief from the crush of people and can be done whenever. Georgetown doesn't have a superclose Metro stop - so you might want to give yourself and your kids a break and take a cab over there if you have been walking all day, or see if there's a Metrobus - not sure about that. Georgetown would be a good place for dinner and it's fun to walk in the neighborhood and see some of the houses, but I'm not sure kids will enjoy that much. The waterfront park is nice and is right on the Potomac, and of course there is plenty of shopping there. Ford's Theater has timed tickets, check the link I put on my other post. As far as the Pentagon goes, I'd suggest you drive past it on your way out of the city. If you cross the Arlington Mem Bridge into Va and take S Washington Blvd, you'll drive right past it. You can then continue on and pick up 395-S which will end and dump into 95-S at the beltway, and off you go. Hope this helps - enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Georgetown
Georgetown
2,567 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
The Pentagon
The Pentagon
1,075 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
7. Re: Washington DC 4 day trip w/ 2 kids for Spring Break

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 05:18
;