We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

starting a job in Washington DC need affordable accomodation

New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
starting a job in Washington DC need affordable accomodation

i am over 50 , so cant just stay anywhere male i am starting a job at IMF headquarters soon. need affordable accomodation. cheapest 3 star hotel is 100$ a night. will need long term living any ideas

3 replies to this topic
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: starting a job in Washington DC need affordable accomodation

You don't say how long term this is but you could look on Air BNB, Craigslist and other bulletin board type sites. If you are going to be around long enough to sign a lease (6 months or a year) I would use something like apartments.com or other apartment listing sites. There are also realtors that help people find apartments. That is how I found my first place in Northern VA. If your budget is too low you may need to look in Maryland or Virginia and commute. The greater DC area is not cheap. Summer interns have probably taken a lot of the short term properties. I would also contact your new employer and see if they have any suggestions for finding housing.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: starting a job in Washington DC need affordable accomodation

I don't understand, this is just like anyone moving to another city, you look at ads and don't expect something cheap because it won't exist. There are numerous apt rental websites with listings, as well as some brokers who handle rentals.

In the meantime, there are corporate parts where you can rent short-term. Also, I'd suggest you look at the Woodner, it's in DC and near metro and very reasonable in rents AND they accept short-term leases. Someone stayed there when working shortterm at a company where I used to work.

http://www.woodner.com/DC_Property.aspx

They have a studio available right now, I think it is only about $1200 a month, which may go up for a shorter term lease. I think you have to rent at least 6 months, though. This is NOT a luxury place, at that price and convenience factor.

Otherwise, I'd suggest River House near Pentagon City metro. It's veyr reasonable and convenient, also.

http://riverhouseapts.com/

It's a large complex so they always have something available immediately, and it has all kinds of amenities includes. The cheapest studio is around $1500 but that goes up to $1800 for a 6 month lease. That is a good location and price, though, and they always have something available.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51,345 posts
1,730 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: starting a job in Washington DC need affordable accomodation

As TA is a travel site, I would suggest city-data, as a better resource to post.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Reply to: starting a job in Washington DC need affordable accomodation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted