We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East coast bus tour suggestions

S B
London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
East coast bus tour suggestions

Hello,

Few of my friends ( mostly Indian students) are going for conference in dc. They want to visit newyork, Niagara Falls and hopefully Boston -in 5-6 day trip. Return flight from New York.

I am wondering whether

They should book east coast tour from dc ? Any good bus companies?

Or book apartment in New York then take day trips from there?

Any surge for economical areas where holiday apartments are cheaper? Any other tips to reduce the cost would be really helpful .

Many thanks in advance!!

9 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: East coast bus tour suggestions

Neither Boston (4 hours each way) nor Niagara Falls (7 hours each way) are within day trip distance of New York City. A 5 day trip that involves visiting DC, New York, Boston, and Niagara is going to be a trip in which you see virtually nothing but the highway. I suggest starting by cutting that list of destinations down to two.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East coast bus tour suggestions

I don't know who it is in Asia spreading rumors that Niagara Falls is close to NYC but they ought to stop. As stated, it's not close. You could probably skip Boston, fly straight from DC to Buffalo and then Buffalo to NYC and manage to see a little bit of everything but you'd be spending as much time in Airports.

If someone doesn't find enough to do in DC or NYC alone in 5 days they aren't trying hard enough.

US
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East coast bus tour suggestions

Impossible. Revise that wish list.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: East coast bus tour suggestions

Most short-term apartment rentals are illegal in NYC. You can go to that forum to find more information. There are apartment style hotels, however.

Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: East coast bus tour suggestions

why do many international visitors want to visit Niagara Falls? We drove there a couple years ago, yes the falls are lovely, and we can say we have been there. There are many other beautiful places that are much closer to DC.

with only 5 days and a conference in DC and flying out of NY, agree that they should focus on those two cities. They can do a Gray Line tour in NYC.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: East coast bus tour suggestions

I don't understand it either. I never give any thought to these falls but maybe they are heavily advertised in some parts of the world.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East coast bus tour suggestions

For what you want to do, you may have to cross out Boston and move your starting point to New York City. Most of these multi day bus tours operate out of New York, where most of its residents do not have a car. In the DC and surrounding regions, most families have their own cars and bus tours are not too popular around here. But there may be some.

You can google search for these tours. One that I came across is linked below. I myself have not taken them so do not know how good or bad they are.

https://www.taketours.com/east-coast-tours/

Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: East coast bus tour suggestions

Google is my friend! I found lots of info at the South Asian American Digital Archives online! A visit to Niagara Falls is iconic for south Asians because of travels there by historic figures.

https:/…oh-niagara

I still don't think international visitors realize just how big New York State is, or how long it takes to get to Niagara.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East coast bus tour suggestions

Niagara Falls is a natural wonder, nothing wrong with people wanting to see it, just like American tourists want to see natural wonders in other countries. But they are really just too far to combine with NYC easily in a few days.

The problem is having to return home from NYC and that Boston and DC are in different directions. IN only 5-6 days is that there is kind of wasted time if you go both north and south and have to get back to NYC.

An easier trip would be NYC-Philadelphia-DC and then back to NY. You could easily do that in 5-6 days by train.

YOu could visit Philadelphia as a day trip from NY, or as a day trip frm DC, but it's on the way so convenient en route. I could see taking the train to Boston, one overnight and then back to NY (if you did that at the beginning of your trip), then you could go to DC for several days at the end of the trip and return by train to NYC.

There are no major natural wonders that are easy to see quickly from that route, they are too far away.

Reply to: East coast bus tour suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted