We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Kids have never seen a Western, where to start?

Which Utah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
727 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Kids have never seen a Western, where to start?

We are doing the Grand Circle for Spring Break and I was thinking about taking the kids to one of the old "movie towns" when I realized that they haven't really seen a Western movie! I think we watched Butch Cassidy, but that may be it.

So, anybody have any suggestions of where to start, particularly ones that may be based in Utah or Arizona, rather than Texas and be fairly historically accurate AND fun to watch? OR is that too much to ask?

I will take any help I can get. I have seen and enjoyed tons of Westerns, but they all run together a bit!

Texas
Level Contributor
307 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Kids have never seen a Western, where to start?

Lots of westerns filmed at Monument Valley, with very recognizable landmarks in the background. One iconic John Wayne movie that comes to mind: "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon".

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Kids have never seen a Western, where to start?

Here are some from Kanab: www.visitkanab.info/article.cfm?cat=3&id=32

Then there is Moab: movies.toptenreviews.com/list-utah-moab.htm

http://www.discovermoab.com/movie.htm

As you can see from some of those you don't need it to be a western to have the great red rock of Utah in the film.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,100 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Kids have never seen a Western, where to start?

When you do the tour, make sure to visit the museum at Goulding's Lodge in Monument Valley. That's essentially where movie making in the Southwest began and they do a great job in documenting it in the museum. Kbecjeans also shared a Moab link. You can get a simple brochure at the tourist information office which outlines many of the filming locations. There aren't a lot of actual "movie towns" as the set is usually the mountains and desert itself. But a good example you might enjoy is the ghost town of Grafton just a few miles from Zion National Park.

Have fun.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Kids have never seen a Western, where to start?

Some great movies with Utah landscapes and locations would be:

The Outlaw Josey Wales,

The Searchers

Jeremiah Johnson (<-- mostly mountains, but Redford fell in love with Utah while filming this)

The Comancheros

Mackenna's Gold

Cheyenne Autumn

Fort Apache

Against a Crooked Sky

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

My Darling Clementine

Geronimo: An American Legend

and my favorite: The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again. :)

Have a great trip!

*Pixie*

Edited: 06 March 2012, 23:27
Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Kids have never seen a Western, where to start?

I would also recommend watching the short educational films offered in the Visitor Centers of each park. Depending on the ages of your children, the documentaries give a good overview; historical, geographic, flora, fauna & wildlife.

Out of state friends brought their 6 & 9 yr. old grandchildren on a tour of the Western Nat. Parks and they all enjoyed the short movies. The kids wanted to earn their Junior Ranger badges at each park so the movies helped with specifics to look for before hiking out.

6. Re: Help! Kids have never seen a Western, where to start?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 13:15