We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain/flood panic

4 posts
Rain/flood panic

Hi, we are 3 girls arriving into Austin this week Saturday then we have hired a car to go to San Antonio by the Riverwalk and then museum district in Houston!

Was wondering I have packed summer dresses and now looks like it should be my wellies. A few questions

- is it raining all the time

- can you travel between cities or best to go elsewhere as images in the internet make Houston the worse

Any advice welcomes folks

7 replies to this topic
Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Rain/flood panic

It looks like rain will be fading away by Saturday. I would not be surprised if there was no rain by Saturday afternoon, or at least very little. It might be a little cool for summer dresses. Certainly, you want something more in the evening.

Travel between cities is no problem. The rains have been heaviest in the Hill Country. I haven't heard of any real flooding in San Antonio, Austin or Houston. There are always a few low-water crossings that flood in times of heavy rain, but I don't think it's yet been a problem. Houston is sensitive to rain, but I think the only real problem is in the next county to the east where the Trinity River is in flood. The only restriction in Austin will be activities on the lakes because of the heavy release of water from dams upstream.

And the weather should be dry by Sunday.

(Don't worry about the Riverwalk. The river there is quite shallow. It was constructed during the depression and is well controlled.)

4 posts
2. Re: Rain/flood panic

Thank you so much

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Rain/flood panic

But enjoy Sunday. Rain chances start back up Monday.

4 posts
4. Re: Rain/flood panic

Thanks

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Rain/flood panic

How long will you be here? The last few days in Houston have been cool and breezy, with mizzley mornings. Lots of folks have broken out the cardigans and light jackets. Temps will be mild during the days, but cool at night--I wouldn't recommend summer dresses for the evenings. Right now it's 70 degrees F outside of my house and a light long sleeved top with trousers or jeans feels good. Forecasts for early next week currently call for cloudy conditions with rain, with temperatures remaining on the cooler side.

4 posts
6. Re: Rain/flood panic

Hi I am there next week from Wed - Fri and wanting to hit the nightlife and bars and girly trip.

I have just put into my case a pair of jeans, some cardigans etc so that can layer thanks for you let advice

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Rain/flood panic

The current forecast shows rain gone by Wednesday and staying dry for the rest of the week. Comfortable temperatures. Forecasting weather days ahead can be dangerous in Texas, but it seems right from the map.

Reply to: Rain/flood panic
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted