We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving through tennessee

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
driving through tennessee

Hi

We are planning our USA trip next september and after spending time on east coast we are driving from Washington to Dallas in 9 days to catch flight back home to Australia.

We will spend time in smoky moutains and then drive to Memphis could anyone recomend small towns that we could stay at on way that are safe interesting towns. Also we will be in smoky mountains on a weekend, do we need to book motels or just turn up when we see nice one.

After Memphis we will head south to Mississipi the turn right towards Texas also any safe small towns to recomend.

Thanks in Advance

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving through tennessee

Nashville is a nice town to visit. Stay downtown and visit the bars and restaurants there. There's not much at all between Nashville and Memphis. It's about 4 hours so drive straight through. Stay downtown in Memphis and visit historic Beale Street. Enjoy the music and world class BBQ. Take # 61 S from Memphis to Clarksdale, MS and enjoy the music and BBQ there. Be sure to try to Delta Hot Tamales in Clarksdale. Take # 61 S to Vicksburg and visit the National Military Park. Go to Rusty's Grill or Walnut Hills for good road food. Head W on I 20 to Dallas. Enjoy your trip.

VISIT THE DELTA..........

http://www.visitthedelta.com/

http://www.tamaletrail.com/

http://www.msbluestrail.org/

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving through tennessee

I suggest reserving a cabin during your time in the Smokies, or a hotel in Gatlinburg or Townsend. Gatlinburg is very touristy in a kind of bad way, but there are plenty of restaurants and activity. Townsend is very quiet, if you're into that.

From there it depends how much time. There's enough between the Smokies and Memphis to occupy you for weeks (no exaggeration). Nashville does not qualify as a small town. Closer to what you're looking for is Chattanooga, a mid-sized city, fairly undebatably the most beautiful in Tennessee. It's on a river, there's a lively downtown scene, important/scenic Civil War history, four gorges within an easy drive of downtown, and cultural attractions like the Hunter Museum of Art and the Tennessee Aquarium. There's enough to do that what you'll choose will be just to your interest, or you can just spend an evening relaxing on the riverfront parks.

If you take the Interstate up towards Nashville on your way to Memphis, spend some time in Franklin.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving through tennessee

Thanks for info, I have map and will mark of peoples suggestions and find a suitable route.

I have read about Gatlinburg and it sounds very busy, I have seen towns on other side like Cherrokee or similar town and spend 2 nights and spend day driving to park and going on a couple of walks. Any suggestions on this area would be good.

Also it sounds like the traffic is very busy in major towns near park so I would like to keep out of them.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving through tennessee

If that's the case, stay in Bryson City, Townsend, or Wear Valley (probably in a cabin).

Cherokee is a tourist trap that hasn't changed since the 1950s. No good dining.

Edited: 13 December 2011, 16:39
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving through tennessee

Good Info I looked at Townsend and that is the place that would suit us.

We are coming from Washington leaving there about 10am on a saturday and driving down we will take it slow and should we get there by 4pm?

We will stay for 2 nights and have walks on the Sunday.

Also it looks like we will head to Lynchburg from there to see Jack Daniels and spend the night as it looks like a nice town. Then on to Memphis.

Thanks

Clarksville, TN
Level Contributor
15 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving through tennessee

I agree with Axel... Clarksdale, MS is great to visit and if you can, stay at the "Shack Up Inn". It is like no other!!!!! Was there in May and loved it!!!

Cherokee IS a tourist trap... however, it can be very interesting too. There is a good musuem, a 'village' reconstruction where you can see the old ways of the Cherokee, and a play is performed "Up Unto This Hills" that is worth seeing.

If you can catch on to the end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, it is a stunning beautiful drive that will take you right down to the Cherokee area.

If you go to Lynchville for the JD distillery... make reservations for lunch at "Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House". Yum!! Lynchburg is SMALL.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
839 posts
863 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving through tennessee

Stop in Nashville for a variety of historic and cultural activities: the Ryman and the Country Music Hall of Fame downtown, the Hermitage (home of President Andrew Jackson), the Opryland Hotel, the Parthenon at Centennial Park, and the beautiful town of Franklin (just south of Nashville).

Along the way, stop to eat at a Cracker Barrel restaurant for some good southern cooking. Cracker Barrel originated in TN, but you can find them along the interstates in many states.

8. Re: driving through tennessee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2012, 10:18