We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with trip itinerary

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
Help with trip itinerary

We are a family of 5 adults flying into Atlanta on the 9th of July for a 14 night holiday.

We are staying the first night in Atlanta as our flight arrives early evening.We are then heading to Tennessee and are intending to visit Pigeon Forge for 3/4 nights Nashville 2 nights and Memphis for 3 nights.This leaves us with approx 4 nights in which we were originallyhoping to visit the gulf coast.

We are now toying with the idea of heading to Memphis first and then coming back towards the Smokies and spending more time there and visit parts of N.C. and Georgia.

We would appreciate any feedback.

Our interests are adventure ,history ,shopping and chilling out especially the last few days

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with trip itinerary

Dublin.........I think you should plan two trips. Drive from Atlanta to Gulf Shores, AL. This will take about 6 hours. After 2 nights in GS drive to New Orleans. This will take about 2 hours. You will see the AL Gulf Coast and the MS Gulf Coast. NOLA is one of America's greatest cities dating over 300 years old. Spend 4 nights in NOLA and drive N to historic Natchez, MS. From there drive N to Vicksburg, MS and Clarksdale, MS. Here's a link to visiting the Delta. You could spend 2 nights in MS and drive to Memphis, TN. Spend 2 nights in Memphis and drive to Nashville, TN. Spend 2 nights in Nashville and return to Atlanta for your flight home. That's 14 days and you get to visit the Gulf Coast and our favorite city NOLA. You will go to historic Natchez, MS and the home of the blues in the Delta. You will visit Beale Street, Graceland, music and Memphis BBQ. Then you will get to visit the music city in Nashville.

http://www.visitthedelta.com/

Next trip fly to Atlanta and drive to Savannah, GA. This will take you 4 hours. Spend 2 nights in Savannah and drive to historic Beaufort, SC for 1 night then drive to Charleston, SC for 3 nights. You could visit the beach at Myrtle Beach for 1 night before you head back W to the mountains and spend 2 nights in Asheville, NC. From there you can visit Gatlingburg and the Smokies for 3 nights. Return to Atlanta for your last night before you fly home.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with trip itinerary

You are really missing out by not including a few days in Chattanooga in your itinerary. Chattanooga is a gorgeous city at the edge of the Cumberland Plateau on the Tennessee/Georgia border. The urban riverfront has a lot to offer with its walking bridges and waterfront parks as well as the Tennessee Aquarium, Frazier Avenue shopping district, Renaissance and Coolidge Parks, Bluff View Arts District, and Hunter Museum of American Art. After that you have the incredible scenic parks in the surrounding mountains and deep Civil War and native American history. You need at two or three days to get a good taste of Chattanooga.

I think two nights in Nashville is good for just about anyone. Even if you're not into the country music scene there's plenty of historical sites to see. Three nights in Memphis is more tricky; depends on your interests. And you want to make sure those extra six hours of driving are worth it.

I would never recommend Pigeon Forge to friends coming from overseas; I think it represents what's most grotesque about American taste. Dollywood isn't a bad spot if you want to check out a theme park, but otherwise I'd give Pigeon Forge a skip. Gatlinburg can be iffy too but it's much more lively than any other base town for the Smokies and has a great location.

The mountains of western North Carolina and North Georgia offer you endless, endless possibilities for exploring. You could spend all your time in this wilderness. At the very least I would recommend a slow drive through this region on your way back to Atlanta. The problem is this entire region is pretty far away from any beaches, especially with your leg out to Memphis. That leaves you a little bit thin.

Edited: 17 April 2011, 22:25
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with trip itinerary

I believe your plan is good, but I would make sure to spend six nights or so staying in Memphis and Nashville, since history is reflected by the music of a region, and for the South and to an extent the whole country that means the region surrounding these two cities, which is why the Interstate connecting them is called "Music Highway". The Blues, Spiritual, and a little Country combined in Memphis to spawn Rock n Roll, then the Soul Music of the sixties and seventies. Bluegrass and Country & Western styles blended in Nashville to produce Country and a big portion of the Pop music culture. These two cities constitute the historic heart of authentic American music generation, and the venues in which to enjoy the history and the performance of this music are there to enjoy. Places like The Rock n Soul Museum, Sun Studio and of course Graceland among others in Memphis and The Grand Ol Opry, Ryman Theatre and Country Museums in Nashville expose you to the cultures, and Beale St. & Lower Broadway show you the current performance of these music styles. Give three nights to each city. Of course the Dixieland & Jazz in New Orleans are great as well, but this is the Tennessee forum!

On your way coming or going to Memphis take hwy 64 east by the Shiloh Battlefield, two hours away for an awe inspiring historic tour of the Military Park there. Just south of Nashville is the town of Franklin, TN which is worth your time for the history and culture dwelling in the homes and fields there.

Include these stops in the middle of your trip, and it will be a memorable success!

Edited: 17 April 2011, 22:32
Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with trip itinerary

Sorry for not acknowledging the advice given sooner i think we are going to visit the gulf coast first then NOLA and head up to Memphis then Nashville and if we have any time left maybe a night in Chattanooga.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with trip itinerary

Great! Have a memorable trip.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with trip itinerary

Here's a few places to stop and rest on your way to NOLA from Mobile, AL. The best seafood in Mobile, AL is at Wintzell's Oyster House. Get off I 10 at Exit 26 A and go W on Canal Steet. Go .4 mile and turn right on S Washington Avenue. Turn right and go .3 mile to Dauphine Street. Take a right and Wintzell's will be on your right. The best BBQ in the area is at Brick Pit. Get off I 10 at Exit 15B and go N on Highway 90 for 3 miles to Demetropolis Road. Take a left and continue on Demetropolis Road which becomes S University Boulevard. Go about 5 miles from the left you took on Demetropolis to Old Shell Road. Take a right and go to Brick Pit for outstanding BBQ. For fine po boy's and fresh seafood get off I 10 at Exit 15A and go N on Government Boulevard to Hall's Mill Road just past the shopping center on the right. Take a right and go to the Boiling Point.

Wintzell's Oyster House @ 605 Dauphin St., Mobile, AL 251 - 432 - 4605.

http://www.wintzellsoysterhouse.com/

The Brick Pit @ 5456 Old Shell Rd., Mobile, AL 251 - 343 - 0001.

http://brickpit.com/

The Boiling Pot @ Suite G, 5300 Halls Mill Road, Mobile, AL 251 - 602 - 8405.

http://www.theboilingpotllc.com/

For fine southern comfort food get off I 10 at Exit 68 at Moss Point, MS and go N on Highway 613 to Tugus restaurant. Stay on Highway 90 going E from Ocean Springs, MS. Go to Market Street and take a right. Go to Ingall's Avenue and take a left. Go 3 or 4 blocks to Bozo's Grocery for fine po boy's.

For good BBQ and fun times get off I 10 at Exit 57 and go N on Highway 57 to The Shed for lunch or dinner. For fine country food for breakfast or lunch go E on Highway 90 to Ocean Springs, MS and turn right on Washington Avenue. Take your first left on Robinson Street and go to Bayview Gourmet. Fayard's has good BBQ. Ward's has good seafood and steaks. Phoenicia has good breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Tugus Restaurant @ 6909 Highway 613, Moss Point, MS 228 - 474 - 9910.

Bozo's Grocery @ 2012 Ingalls Ave., Pascagoula, MS 228 - 762 - 3322.

The Shed BBQ and Blues Joint @ 7501 Hwy. 57, Ocean Springs, MS. 228 - 875 - 9590.

http://www.theshedbbq.com/ordereze/intro.html

Bayview Gourmet @ 1010 Robinson St., Ocean Springs, MS. 228 - 875 - 4252.

Fayard's BP @ 6905 Washington Ave, Ocean Springs, MS. 228 - 875 - 1020.

Kenny Ward's @ 1504 Government St., Ocean Springs, MS. 228 - 818 - 4505.

McElroy's on the Bayou @ 705 Bienville Blvd. 228 - 818 - 4600.

Phoenicia Gourmet Cuisine @ 123 Government St., Ocean Springs, MS. 228 - 875 - 0603.

Continue on Highway 90 to Highway 49 N in Gulfport, MS. Take a left and go one block to 13th Street and turn left to Half Shell Oyster House for fine fresh seafood for lunch or dinner. Or continue on Highway 90 to Cowan Road which is E of Highway 49 in Gulfport, MS between Gulfport, MS and Biloxi, MS. Go N on Cowan Road to W Pine Street. Turn left and go 3 blocks to Washington Street, Turn right and go to Blow Fly Inn where the local's dine on fresh seafood for lunch or dinner. Continue E on Highway 90 to Caillavet Street just E of I 110. Turn left and go N to Howard. Turn right and go one block to Old Biloxi Schooner for good po boy's. For fine fresh oysters and good seafood continue E on Howard to Fillin Station for lunch or dinner.

Half Shell Oyster House @ FL 1st, 2500 13th St., Gulfport, MS 228 - 867 - 7001.

http://halfshelloysterhouse.com/

Blow Fly Inn @ 1201 Washington Ave., Gulfport, MS 228 - 896 - 9812.

http://www.blowflyinn.com/

Ole Biloxi Schooner @ 871 Howard Ave., Biloxi, MS 228 - 435 - 8071.

Fillin Station @ 692 Howard Ave., Biloxi, MS 228 - 432 - 5565.

http://www.fillinstationbiloxi.com/

Continue on Highway 90 to Darwell's Cafe in Long Beach, MS for good lunch or dinner. Darwell's was featured on Diners, Drive In's and Dives. Continue on Highway 90 to Shaggy's Harbor Bar and Grill across from the Pass Christian Yacht Club for good fresh seafood, cold drinks and nice music. Get off I 10 at Exit 2 at Bay St. Louis, MS and go E on Scenic Highway 90 to Trapani's for fine fresh seafood for lunch or dinner.

Darwells Cafe @ 127 East 1st St., Long Beach, MS. 228 - 868 - 8946.

http://www.darwellscafe.co

Shaggy's Harbor Bar and Grill @ 120 S. Hiern Ave., Pass Harbor, Pass Christian, MS. 228 - 452 - 9939.

http://www.shaggys.biz/

Trapani's @ 833 Highway 90 # 3, Bay St. Louis, MS 228 - 467 - 8570.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with trip itinerary

We spent about two weeks touring Tennessee in October, and this worked out well for us:

Three and a half days in Memphis

One day driving (and stopping) between Memphis & Nashville

Three days in Nashville

Half day in Knoxville

Four days in Gatlinburg (3 days in the Park, one for the Arts & Crafts Loop)

Two days in Chattanooga

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with trip itinerary

I would recommend visiting Franklin, TN (just south of Nashville)...it offers Civil War History, good restaurants and interesting shops in the downtown Franklin area. When you visit the Smokies, consider driving through the national park and over to the NC side. I would recommend Dillsboro and Bryson City for the same quaint atmosphere found in Franklin, TN.

Other things to Consider: Visiting the Biltmore House in Ashville, NC or rafting on the Ocoee River (NC/TN/GA Border). Lots of fun...we did that last summer with our 5 kids.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with trip itinerary

I agree that Chattanooga should be included in your trip. With the beauty of the area, interesting sights, Tennessee Riverfront activities and many sights of interest, it will be one of your favorite stops. Rock City, Tennessee Aquarium, Tennessee Railroad Museum, North and South sides of the Tennessee River, Bluff View Arts District, Coolidge Park and much more. Chattanoogafun.com

10. Re: Help with trip itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 03:19