We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midwest Road Trip

Boiling Springs...
Level Contributor
16 posts
49 reviews
Midwest Road Trip

Looking for some help in taking a road trip in August. I live in SC, wanting to drive out to OK, then up to Kansas, Nebraska, SD, and ND, then head back home. I'm not too familiar with these areas, so I need some help making my route. I'm just wanting to see the beautiful scenery, preferably the routes with nothing but open plains on either side through these states. Any ideas? Any places I must go?

North Dakota
Level Contributor
141 posts
1. Re: Midwest Road Trip

You can find great North Dakota trip ideas on our website: http://www.ndtourism.com/best-places . There are some wonderful scenic drives that take you through the most beautiful parts of the state. You can find them at: http://www.ndtourism.com/scenic-drives . You will find some of the prettiest prairies along these routes.

The Theodore Roosevelt National Park is located in western North Dakota and is characterized as rugged buttes, canyons and valleys. The town of Medora is located at the South Unit of the park and features a nightly musical in an outdoor amphitheater - some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever encounter. You'll also find gift shops, dining, museums and more. You may want to work this into your trip as well.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 20:09
North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Midwest Road Trip

You could try taking Highway 83 up and maybe going further west in South Dakota to come up by Dickinson/Medora. My grandparents have driven 83 from Texas up to I-94. I agree that the park is beautiful and fun part not to be missed!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Level Contributor
41 posts
125 reviews
3. Re: Midwest Road Trip

If you really want to travel north, visit the Rendezvous Region in Northeast North Dakota, just a few miles from the Canadian border.

…nd.gov/byways/rendezvous/rendezvous.html

Boiling Springs...
Level Contributor
16 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Midwest Road Trip

Thanks for the links and info! I will look into this!

missoula, mt
Level Contributor
1 post
86 reviews
5. Re: Midwest Road Trip

The Black Hills of SD and Mount Rushmore near Rapid City are a must see. Interesting visitor center. There is an 1880s steam train that starts (or stops) in Keystone, SD, close to Mount Rushmore area that is fun for an activity that takes a couple hours round trip. If you like Mount Rushmore, consider stopping at the Crazy Horse mountain carving that is in progress not too far from Mount Rushmore, that has a nice visitor center and gives you an idea of the magnitude of a project such as Mt Rushmore or Crazy Horse. Drive the Needles Highway east of Custer, SD for cool scenery and unusual geology.

6. Re: Midwest Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about North Dakota