We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel between Mt. Rushmore and Medora, ND- Bowman?

Nashville, Tennessee
7 posts
Hotel between Mt. Rushmore and Medora, ND- Bowman?

We are looking for somewhere to stay somewhere between Custer, SD and Medora, ND. We thought we would break the drive up after a visit to Mt. Rushmore on our way to Teddy Roosevelt National Park. Right now, I'm thinking it might be worth two nights near Mt. Rushmore and to try to make the drive in one day and then head on to Billings. It is a long haul. However, I am having no luck finding a decent town to stop. Bowman was the plan, but there are very limited options. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
261 posts
1. Re: Hotel between Mt. Rushmore and Medora, ND- Bowman?

There is very little in terms of services along US85 between Spearfish and Medora (or on that stretch of SD79 to US85 if you head north from Sturgis).

Confused if you're trying to break up the drive from Custer to Billings or from Custer to Medora. It's about 5hrs from Custer to Medora and then another 4hrs or so to Billings.

Where are you going to after Billings? If Yellowstone, spend one night in Medora and then drive to Red Lodge, MT, or further on to Yellowstone the next day.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,178 posts
6,438 reviews
2. Re: Hotel between Mt. Rushmore and Medora, ND- Bowman?

What I did was to stay in Deadwood for the night and went to a show there...

but David1 is right. Right you get beyond Belle Fourche, its basically some cows and green pastures...

its a fast road

The "car" in front of me was a cement truck going 70 plus miles an hour (i.e. everyone drives a bit fast unless there is weather related....heavy rain, etc.).

I made it from Deadwood to Medora in about 3 1/2 hours.

From Deadwood to Mt. Rushmore is about 90 minutes.

The other option if not interested in Deadwood would be to stay in Spearfish or at Spearfish Canyon Resort.

I enjoyed Medora and in particular Teddy Roosevelt National Park.

I also really liked the entire Black Hills Region..

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Hotel between Mt. Rushmore and Medora, ND- Bowman?

Bowman is only another hour to Medora....just get to there that night and stay there to be fresh to take in the park the next day.

4. Re: Hotel between Mt. Rushmore and Medora, ND- Bowman?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about North Dakota