We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Whitefish,Mt to Chicago

Visakhapatnam, India
Level Contributor
57 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Whitefish,Mt to Chicago

We are driving from Seattle to Canadian Rockies to Glacier national forest to Chicago during the last week of September.

I need suggestions regarding the drive from Glacier national forest to Chicago.

From the google maps we see 2 options

To drive on US2E, I 94E and I 88E in 3 days.. In this option we want to stop in Harvey, Bismarck and Minneapolis.

Or

To drive on I 90E in 3 days. In this option we want to stop in Billings, Mitchell and Rochester.

We like to take the rout which is more scenic.

I will appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Whitefish,Mt to Chicago

The one through North Dakota will take you through Medora if you get onto I94 before you get into ND. The badlands in North Dakota are beautiful, more colorful than those in South Dakota, in my opinion. Medora is a neat little town. www.medorand.com I'm not sure if you really want to come down to 94 at Harvey though as you'd likely miss the most scenic part of the drive. If you are set on doing so, see if a side trip up to the International Peace Gardens is possible: www.peacegarden.com/

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Whitefish,Mt to Chicago

Did you mean Havre, MT? Not sure why you'd drive to Harvey, ND, and then backtrack some to Bismarck, ND.

The US 2 to MT13/200s south to interstate 94 at Glendive, MT, and then the interstate to Chicago brings you across some of the most uninhabited land in MT and the lower 48 states of the US. It's open high prairie and cattle country. It has a very stark beauty and, growing up in central/western ND, a beauty that I really like but services like gas stations and hotels are fairly spread out. JACombs already talked about the Medora area and Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Whitefish to Medora and a stayover there; early morning auto tour of Theodore Roosevelt NP and then on to some place like St. Cloud for an overnight before heading to Chicago (unless you plan on doing things in Mpls) would be my suggestions. Can give you ideas on other stops if you have more time to explore.

The other route will be several hours longer. You'd skirt by the Bighorn Mountains in WY, the Black Hills of SD, and the Badlands National Park. Whitefish to Billings (overnight) to Rapid City or Badlands (overnight) to Sioux Falls or further into MN like Albert Lea or Rochester (overnight) to Chicago would be my recommendation. You could go from Billings to Sioux Falls but that would be a long day, especially if you detoured to Badlands for a couple of hours.

Both routes require long drives and you won't have much time to explore any scenic areas, which is a pity but you only have so much time. The Black Hills (Mt. Rushmore, Custer SP, Wind Cave NP, Jewel Cave NM, etc.) and the Badlands deserve more than just a drive thru, so if you can somehow get a few more days you'd enjoy that route much more.

Visakhapatnam, India
Level Contributor
57 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Whitefish,Mt to Chicago

Thank you JAcombs.

Visakhapatnam, India
Level Contributor
57 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Whitefish,Mt to Chicago

Thank you David for great inputs. I think the later part of your advise sounds great. We are from India and by the time we come to this part of the journey we will be already into 3 weeks of vacation spending most of the time in Canadian Rockies. Hence we may not be able to take many days off. But we can spend an extra day. Rapid city sounds great which will enable us to explore bad lands and Mount Rushmore.

5. Re: Drive from Whitefish,Mt to Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 03:15