We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 night Vacation But really need help/suggestions

Westminster...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
3 night Vacation But really need help/suggestions

I am really hoping that someone can help me to figure out my game plan for my March 12 - March 15 Vacation to celebrate our wedding Ann. and Bdays!

We will be traveling from Carroll County MD (North west of Baltimore), originally we were going to Gatlinburg TN however the Hubby would prefer less of a drive or at least warmer weather. I have only been south once when I was a kid and he has never been. We want to see something different that is not typical for the areas north of VA. (alligators, palm trees, warm weather this early in March.. LOL). We are ok with breaking up the drive a little bit however we must be back in MD by 5:30 pm on Thursday.. I am also VERY interested in historical eras such as settlement of US, Civil War (especially plantations that stay true to the REAL life experiences on plantations ie slavery), and the civil rights movements in the south (my husband does not share the same curiosity but we can compromise). Other topics of interest: Romance, wildlife (we plan to stop at Wilmington serpentarium), pirates (we saw the Myrtle Beach Dinner Theater but prefer not to drive all the way there in one day), adventure, historical small towns etc... Sorry this post is so long but I have been racking my brain for two weeks so I just wanted to be as detailed as possible!!

VA vacation spots are OK also.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 night Vacation But really need help/suggestions

Oh yeah I forgot.. I was thinking about Tyron Palace in New Bern as well.

Thanks

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 night Vacation But really need help/suggestions

It seems a long drive for such a short vacation in March.

If you are interested in Civil War, check out the suggestions on both states...

civilwartraveler.com/EAST/VA/trailsFAQ.html

New Bern? hiddencoast.com/content/civilwarbattle.htm

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 night Vacation But really need help/suggestions

If you want to look at historical sights and settlements, head over to the areas of NC that are on the west sides of Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds. Bath was the first capital of NC and is just lovely. Edenton is another great historical town, and Blackbeard (see, pirates!) supposedly had a home there. New Bern is also pretty.

If you get that far, I'd also suggest heading toward the coast from there and visiting Beaufort. It's along the Intercoastal Waterway and is chock full of history. There is a Wildlife Museum in Harker's Island less than an hour's drive from Beaufort and the North Carolina Aquarium is along the coast in Pine Knoll Shores.

From there, you're not too far from Wilmington. I don't think you'll be able to get your plantations and Civil Rights curiosity satisfied on this trip, unless you head further west or south. Probably best to save that for another trip.

It's a shame you don't have enough time to go to Charleston, SC. It has all the things you are interested in and more. It's about 550 miles from Baltimore. Sounds like that will have to be another trip, too.

Enjoy yourselves!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,998 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 night Vacation But really need help/suggestions

Do you have 3 nights, 4 days?

I really don't think the weather is going to be much different in NC than it is in MD. It might be 5 degrees warmer at most. It would be warmer in Wilmington than in the Smokies, but not that much different than the Baltimore area. You can look at weather.com and check that out if the weather is a big deciding factor for you.

Tryon Palace could be good for you. If you're interested in the conditions slaves lived under Stagville Plantation near Durham NC has a well-preserved slave quarters. http://www.stagville.org/

Wilmington does have palmetto trees (starnewsonline.com/article/…100329820) and the occasional alligator. Just not sure how far you want to drive. It looks to be about 7 hrs from Balto.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 night Vacation But really need help/suggestions

Panchopup.. Yes 3 night and some of Thursday... I Figured that much about the weather.. I have been keeping an eye on weather channel but I also know this time of year is very unpredictable. Tryon Palace ans Stagville Plantation were both on my "maybe" lists... 7/8 hours is the definite max driving time otherwise I would have liked to visit Hilton's Head.

6. Re: 3 night Vacation But really need help/suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:42