We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in manhattan art and shopping !

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in manhattan art and shopping !

Hi trip advisors. I will be spending 6 days in New York 13 -19 April, staying with my nephew who has been lucky enough to land a 3 month position at Columbia University. I`m travelling with my sister, who, like me, is interested in art , history and beautiful buildings, and my neice and her friend who are basically interested in shopping - maybe with some tourist sites as well.So my questions are:

What are the best area/stores for shopping for an 18 and 20 year old? (we are talking budget shopping here, clothes, handbags/purses etc)

And of all New York City`s fabulous galleries and museums, what are the 3/4 must see`s?

I also wondered if anyone could recommend a day trip out of Manhattan that might appeal to all of us - was thinking Brooklyn, Coney Island?

We are so excited about our holiday , but need to plan or else I fear we will spend the whole 6 days arguing about what to do and when to do it!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,335 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in manhattan art and shopping !

Repost on the NY CITY forum

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York…

To get you started:

For 18-20 yr olds

H & M (yes you have it too but we have different stuff)

Strawberry

Uniqlo

French Connection

Armani A/X

Loehmann's

Century 21

Fifth ave. between 14th-23rd st. (And at 14th st./Union Square you also have Filene's basement, DSW for shoes, shoegasm etc.)

Everyone has a favorite list of museums. The Met is a must

metmuseum.org

After that, it's what appeals to your tastes. I like the Frick, the Cooper Hewitt, Neue, the new MAD (art & design). Here's a list with links

http://www.ny.com/museums/all.museums.html

For your friend who's into history, the NY Historical Society and the Mus. of the City of NY might be of interest. Into buildings?

mas.org

I think it's too cold for Coney Island. What do you hope to see by doing a daytrip? Brooklyn is another borough of NYC. If you want to get out of the city and see somesthing different, I think you have to go further. Maybe the Rockefeller estate?

hudsonvalley.org/kykuit

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in manhattan art and shopping !

Thanks so much for this - the links look really useful and interesting.

3. Re: 6 days in manhattan art and shopping !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 06:16